PDA

View Full Version : Any value in cleaning a divided syrup pan between boils?

Randle
02-21-2012, 04:09 PM
We are running a 3'x10' evaporator which has a 3'x3' stainless 4 channel lower pan and 3'x7' back pan. The front pan is developing light brown sugar residue along and above the sap line.

Previous owner only cleaned it at the end of the season but I'm thinking it would be a good idea to clean it between boils? Anyone with a position on this?

My plan is draw off the concentrate that was left over, filter it through paper and then put it back in once the pan is cleaned.

What is the best methods to clean the pan? Wirebrush, warm water, vinegar?

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-21-2012, 04:36 PM
If it's only on the sides & not on the bottom of the pan,then I wouldn't worry about it. When it starts to build up on the bottom,if you don't clean it,that's when it can burn & damage your pan. If you have a RO, running permeate through the pan works great;that's what we do. If you don't,a commercial pan cleaner from a maple supplier would work the best using steel wool & wire brush.

Brent
02-21-2012, 04:56 PM
you can use just about any of the approved acids, even vinegar works well. After being frustrated for years trying to make them work quickly and avoid mechanical removal with scrapers etc, I finally clued in to the instructions .. HEAT is the key. If you can, shut off the flow from the flue pan, drain and filter as you planned, fill an inch or so deep with the acid solution and light a small fire. It only needs to burn 5 - 10 minutes. Let it cool. Maybe brush with a NON-METALIC brush if the build up needs it. Sometimes when I do it, as the acid approaches the boiling point I can hear the scale ping as large flakes pop off the bottom.

Never never never use wire brushes, steel wool or scrapers. The more you mark up the finish the harder it gets to clean them. If it already scratched up, try polishing with an orbital sander and a lapping compound to restore a smooth polished surface.

If you leave the scale build up, it will sooner or later get thick enough to scorch on the bottom of the scale and impart a flavor to the syrup that you won't like.

The pan will boil faster with the scale on it too.