PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum pump questions

SandMan
02-21-2012, 03:41 PM
First, can a vacuum pump be positioned a fair distance from a releaser (ie., 100-300 feet)?

Second, can one vacuum pump provide vacuum to two releaser (given adequate size for number of taps, etc)?

Thanks in advance.....

spud
02-21-2012, 04:04 PM
First, can a vacuum pump be positioned a fair distance from a releaser (ie., 100-300 feet)?

Second, can one vacuum pump provide vacuum to two releaser (given adequate size for number of taps, etc)?

Thanks in advance.....

Yes your vacuum pump can be far away from your releaser. If your going to do that I would use 1 1/2 inch pipe for better and faster transfer. I have a booster tank 2000 feet from my releaser and i still get 28 vacuum. I plan to run a second releaser in my lower woods and everything will be running on my one vacuum pump. As long as your pump is big enough you should have no problems at all.

Spud

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-21-2012, 04:19 PM
The answer to both questions is yes, as long as your vacuum pump is running enough inches of vacuum. We have two sugarbushes that we run 2 releasers off the same pump. The first sugarbush we have 2400 taps on. 1900 of these are run on one releaser right by the vac. pump. The other 500 taps are 2500 feet from the pump and run off a separate releaser. We maintain between 25 and 26 inches of vacuum on the whole system with a liquid ring pump. The second sugarbush has 1900 taps. 1550 of these are run on a releaser by the pump. The other 350 taps are 600 feet from the pump on a separate releaser. We maintain 24 inches on this setup with a vane pump. As long as you keep your system leak free and you have a big enough vac. to support your tap number, you should do fine. Hope this helps, Neil