PDA

View Full Version : Effect of tapping on the tree

SteveD
03-18-2006, 10:46 PM
I don't know if this photo will show up here or not...but if it doesn't ..you can see it by clicking on the website URL at the bottom of this post...

Check out this photo of a board sawn from a sugarbush maple....If ever there was a good example for why you have to move sideways a few inches for next years tap hole....
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sails9999/detail?.dir=/61d1&.dnm=f657re2.jpg&.src=ph

I found that on eBay...

Steve

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-19-2006, 07:14 AM
Very interesting and I have seen several of these before. I tapped about 10 or 12 holes this year within an inch or two of last years holes to experiment since I am using 5/16 spouts and never hit any deadwood. Even had a couple above the hole from last year. Maybe I was just lucky. :?

royalmaple
03-19-2006, 07:35 AM
Steve-

Nice pics, I always wondered what you were making when the tree healed up. I wasn't sure if you would be getting some funky grain, knots etc.

We could be making unique character for future cabinet / furniture makers.

Russell Lampron
03-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Those tap holes look like what happened when they used to use "pills" to keep the tap holes open longer. I've seen trees with 40 year old tap holes in them that look like they were just tapped.

Russ