PDA

View Full Version : A Few Test Holes -Mixed Results

TerryEspo
02-21-2012, 07:14 AM
Hello Everyone:

Being a very nice day yesterday above freezing, I tapped 5 trees on buckets. 2 were dry as a bone (nothing), 1 ran better than the others (6 drips a min.)and the other 2 were just dripping enough to say they had sap (2 drips a min.). Basically, not really running here in Sault Ste. Marie.

Will I need to redill those holes when the sap does run?

Why are a couple trees running and others not at all?

Thanks

Terry

Mike Wacker
02-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Pretty interested to hear responses. Here in So. ME I have two very small "sugar bushes". This is only my second year at this. One has 18 taps and produced 1/4 to a full gallon per tap over the last three days. Another spot have 11 taps 1 or two onces per tap??? Similar sun, similar settings (lightly wooded), Beyond my experience.

TGC
02-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Mike
I tapped last week. Put in 200 and so far have got about 200 gallons of sap. Tomorrow I'LL start the evaporator for the first this year. Got 60 gallons of syrup last year. Probably will never do that good again.
TGC

Mike Wacker
02-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Thanks TGC. On another thread I've post my confusion on deminished runs over the last 3 days that seemed pretty weird to this new guy, given the low 20's 40ish days consistant but less sap each day, right down to next to nothing today. I'm shooting for 50 taps this year, we'll see how it goes.

PerryW
02-21-2012, 05:13 PM
The tapholes should not need redrilling as they should run for 6 weeks or so.

some trees warm up faster and start running earlier because they get more sun or are in a warmer location.