PDA

View Full Version : 60 tapped in Brunswick

MapleME
02-20-2012, 09:10 PM
First year on gravity tubing and it was an interesting day. Sap was flowing though, so happy we got them out. It was brutal out there though today. Wind was blowing like a SOB, and it was cold cold cold.

Hope to get another 50 out by weeks end.

I also set up the last bits of the evaporator which will be a great addition to this years boiling. New baby forces shorter collection times and more efficient boiling!

Revi
02-24-2012, 05:00 PM
I'll bet they ae flowing now. Today was our first good day of sap flow. We got a bit yesterday and sweetened the pan. Come visit us when you get a chance MapleME. (I know all you free time is taken up with maple sugaring right now)

MapleME
02-24-2012, 05:32 PM
I'll bet they ae flowing now. Today was our first good day of sap flow. We got a bit yesterday and sweetened the pan. Come visit us when you get a chance MapleME. (I know all you free time is taken up with maple sugaring right now)

Revi, you KNOW I want to come hang out with you and see your operation. This is the year, I swear!! Tough during the season to get away but I think I will do whatever I can to get up and over to ya and spend some time. Are you boiling this weekend?

Still a lil gun-shy on the new rig. big step up from the 2x6 flat pan. Flues, syrup pan, float boxes... a little daunting! Got the 60 out last Monday, hope to get another 50-60 out Sunday.

MapleME
02-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Its 40 degrees in the shade here in Brunswick- Headed out to toss in another 50!

DIMariner
02-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Are you kidding me? Temps topped out at 25* here in Deer Isle with wind chills in single digits. Could have used forties to get things running and feel like I could boil without getting frostbit. As it is, I've only gotten 22 gallons off my 30 taps this week. Oh well, it will come.

MapleME
03-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Tough day, tried to collect and everything was frozen solid. Hope it warms up, doesn't look like I will have enough to boil this weekend though :(

03-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Hey looks like this week could be a great week but also maybe the end I still have quite a bit to boil this weekend.

Sandy
03-05-2012, 07:57 AM
Are you kidding me? Temps topped out at 25* here in Deer Isle with wind chills in single digits. Could have used forties to get things running and feel like I could boil without getting frostbit. As it is, I've only gotten 22 gallons off my 30 taps this week. Oh well, it will come.

DI: We are just starting good flow (just down the road a bit from you in Wash Cty) this past weekend, and hopefully by late this week we will both be really running. i hope the slow start fo us as far as temp goes will help prolong budding. What do you think?

DIMariner
03-12-2012, 05:32 AM
Yeah, I had a great week last week- 77 gallons, which is a lot for me! Looks like a short, intense season.