PDA

View Full Version : maple taste changed??

bowtie
02-20-2012, 07:38 PM
not sure if it is just me but since i have started making syrup, i have noticed that all syrup tastes different to me and the smells of the sugaring are also different. i don't know if this is because of all the steam i am in and around or i am just getting overloaded with maple smells and flavors. has any one else noticed this or is it just me? maple seems to have different aftertastes to me, but everybody who tastes the syrup says it is delicious and can not detect the aftertaste i am getting? the first 3 3/4 gallons made this year are grade a fancy according to our new grading kit so it is not like it is off colored or anything. i am a little puzzled. it stinks because i like all of you love the smell and tastes of making maple syrup.

Cake O' Maple
02-20-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm not clear on what you are saying. Are you saying that this year, the tastes and smells of making your syrup are not as good as usual to you? Or only recently this year it's changed? Or has it been longer than this year?

My first thought was that as you surround yourself with something, your palate does get better at detecting the various flavors and nuances of it. I used to use butter and margarine interchangably, and actually liked I Can't Believe It's Not Butter. Since I started baking/decorating cakes, and using only real butter, I've gotten to the point that there are brands of butter I like better than others, and one brand I'll never buy again! I found the same thing with chocolate.

My second thought was to wonder if you are on a new medication. If so, ask your doctor or pharmacist if it's a side effect. Some medications can change how things taste.