PDA

View Full Version : is the end near?

JSEDLAK
02-20-2012, 11:20 AM
My last boil my syrup came out very dark, but very good. After talking to some more experienced, (this is my first year), they said that dark syrup was a sign of the end of the season. I am not so sure, I realize we got tap earlier this year but does that mean that the season would end earlier? I am still collecting what I believe to be quality sap, at the same rate I hae been getting it all season. I think my dark syrup came from cooking too long, I brought the temperatur to 222 in my block arch, a few degrees higher that normal. Next batch I will stop earlier and see if that makes a differance.

happy thoughts
02-20-2012, 12:03 PM
I think you're on the money. Sounds like your syrup got a little carmelized. It's been a weird warm winter for sure but not even the red maples look close to budding where I live. I think there's at least a few more weeks of winter left.

Good luck on the next batch:)

PerryW
02-20-2012, 05:58 PM
In general, the syrup gets darker as the season progresses, but many times you will make dark amber (usually after a warm spell) then the syrup will lighten back up to medium or fancy with the return of cool weather.

Don't pull your taps until you hear the peepers.

Russell Lampron
02-20-2012, 06:06 PM
I have started more than one season making dark syrup right out of the gate. Last season I started out making grade B and the last boil of the season, in early April was light amber. Some years it is just backwards and I wouldn't be calling it a season just because I made my best syrup first.