PDA

View Full Version : How much syrup for pancake breakfast?

Cake O' Maple
02-20-2012, 09:59 AM
How much syrup do you figure for a pancake breakfast? As in x gallons for y number of expected people.

Also, any idea how much pancake batter to figure?

Thanks for any info!

happy thoughts
02-20-2012, 01:18 PM
I've never even entertained an idea this large. That said, this catering site suggests 3- 5" pancakes per serving or 1/2 C flour, I'll assume that 1/2 cup means dry mix.

http://www.ellenskitchen.com/bigpots/plan/bfast100.html

If you're going to use a mix you could also go by what the label says about portion size. For instance, a 32 0z box of Aunt Jemima makes 19 servings of 4- 4 inch pancakes per their label. Hopefully you can use those as a basic guide.

As far as syrup, I'd say at least a TBL of syrup/ 4 " pancake which means at least 1/4 cup per serving of 3 or 4 pancakes. A gallon of syrup should serve a little more than 60 people at that rate. If you have real syrup lovers you'll likely need to plan on even more. The above site says 1-2 gallons/100 people. I'd say 2 gallons will be closer to what's used as a tablespoon of syrup/pancake isn't much.

Now just thinking out loud here..... Will it be all you can eat? If so, then I think you're going to need to plan for larger portions/person. I'd also want to decide how you're going to serve the syrup. In jugs on the table may see people using and possibly wasting a lot more than if they were given a portioned amount in a cup when served.

Hope something's helpful for you here and if not, then I hope someone that's run a big pancake breakfast chimes in to help you out. Best wishes for a successful event!

holey_bucket
02-20-2012, 04:28 PM
I use 1/2 - 1 cup of syrup on my pancakes. I REALLY like syrup. Anyway, that's only 16-32 servings per gallon.

Cake O' Maple
02-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Hee hee, I'm with you, Mark. I really like a little pancake with my syrup as well. But I figure most people aren't like that.

Happy thoughts, thanks for the calculations and the wishes! It's not an event I'd be throwing, but I am tapping the maples at a nearby church as a please and thank you arrangement only. But it's a small church, and if the season is a good one, I'd like to expand my thank you to enough syrup for a pancake breakfast for them. I have a neighbor with a contact for pancake mix (he's related to the Carbon family). I don't want to be stingy, but don't want to give too much away, as I need the income from the syrup this year.

PapaSmiff
02-20-2012, 07:08 PM
At one time, I was considering donating syrup to the local Boy Scouts for their pancake breakfast. I figured 3 oz per pancake serving (about one nip). There are 128 oz in a gallon, so about 42 servings per gallon. I also know there there are some people, as surprising as it sounds, that don't like the taste of pure maple syrup - probably 10% of the population at a pancake breakfast. So, I figure a gallon would be good for 50 people.

happy thoughts
02-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Hi Beth, Don't forget the butter! The real kind, not the imitation stuff. If you're going to treat everyone to real syrup you might as well go for broke:)

If you have a good idea of the # coming then that should be easier to plan ahead. I'd plan on double servings for the men and normal servings for the women and kids with a couple of extra servings thrown in to be safe. Whatever portion size you decide on for syrup, just multiply that by the # of pancake servings you're making to come up with the ozs needed. I'd say 1/4 cup (2 oz) would be the minimum serving size. When I make family breakfast for 4 adults and 2 young school age kids we use about a pint of syrup, unless the kids pour the syrup, lol. Anyway, with a small crowd you could set out several small pitchers for all to share. Heating it up before serving is a nice touch.

Again, good luck and wishing you all the best:)

happy thoughts
02-20-2012, 07:31 PM
I figured 3 oz per pancake serving (about one nip).

That sounds about right to me.