PDA

View Full Version : My Idea Of A Good Time

Randav
02-19-2012, 08:27 PM
I made this crazy contraption and it worked great! This is my first year sugaring and my first boil. I was able to boil down 35 gallons to 1.5 gallons in under 3 hours. It started boiling in 12 minutes and i was running from pans to fire back to pans, i felt like I was on fire! I haven't worked that hard in a long time, but I can't wait till next weekend:cool:

JRCunningham
02-19-2012, 08:49 PM
WOW! That's quite the setup, and quite the view while boiling! (If you had time to enjoy the view).

I'm curious--what's the squarish contraption at the end of the pipe at the front of the arch?

One of the things I think is the most cool/fun/interesting things about both what we do and this site is the plethora of ingenious ideas that come up. Someone once told me it was a blessing to be surrounded by people smarter than yourself--and I certainly feel humbled by the brainpower on this forum.

Nice work!

--J.R.

Bucket Head
02-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Randav,

Very nice! We started on a concrete block arch too. We eventually had three going at once so I know what you mean about running around, but it was fun! What is the purpose of the barrel on the smokestack? Does it increase the draft somehow? Good luck again next weekend!

Steve

Randav
02-19-2012, 10:07 PM
The square box is my fan set up. I used a 50 CFM bathroom exhaust fan for a blower. The barrel is my spark/ember catcher. My compost pile and brush pile is directly behind the arch and I didn't want to catch it on fire. I couldn't imagine 3 of these things going at once!

JRCunningham
02-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Ingenious.

Very cool setup. Thanks for posting it.

I still think the view is the best part--I'd be sugaring in August with a view like that. :cool:

--J.R.