PDA

View Full Version : Things I Never Knew...

Clarkfield Farms
02-19-2012, 06:46 PM
...far outnumber all the things I'll ever know. But for maples? WOW. And goldenrod?!?!?!

The land we bought back in April, part of the farm/land I grew up on, had been neglected since 1991. The #1 thing that's grown up in the former fields and pastures is goldenrod. I like it and the honey produced from it, but at about 8' tall and impossibly thick to walk through it's not pleasant to have around. Ash trees have taken over some of the more shaded parts of the old fields and are spreading quickly, but not a single young maple to be found ANYwhere in those old fields. Only in the old wooded areas and thicker hedgerows am I finding young maples in any numbers.

Then tonight, I find and read this article: http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/acer/saccharum.htm

I found out that asters (also extremely abundant; about 1/5 as many asters as goldenrod!)and goldenrod exude a -- well, here's a quote from the section on Seedling Development: "Aster and goldenrod exert an allelopathic effect on sugar maple by reducing germination and early growth of seedlings (24).
" Right before that is information that maples are allelopathic to yellow birch. Zoinks! Warfare in the plant kingdom!

I know, I know.... I'm probably a late-comer to the party, and most or all of you already know this stuff. I didn't! One thing I'm wondering is this -- once goldenrod (and/or asters) is eradicated from the area where I want to encourage maple growth, how long is it before the chemicals that are detrimental to the maples are of no effect? And, although it points out that these negative effects affect germination and early growth of seedlings, at what point do they no longer affect the trees? And if a mature tree, over time, gets "surrounded" by goldenrod, will there be any deliterious effect on them, as in lower sugar content, etc? Or maybe even beneficial, as in increased sugar content?

Anyways, I'd sure like to know of any of your experiences, and/or links directing me to more answers.

Thanks in advance!
- Tim

happy thoughts
02-19-2012, 08:33 PM
We're kinda in the same situation you are. Before you start dumping herbicides I'd try mowing the goldenrod and asters first and also try mulching. Many of the goldenrods have an extensive but fairly shallow root system. In many places I've had success just yanking them when the ground is moist. Asters are a little tougher to pull but mowing does help control them. You may just be able to plow them up and under and plant a cover crop like annual rye or something to help improve soil fertility.

Goldenrods are an interesting group of plants made up of about a zillion species at least from the looks of my field guides. I never realized that until I started getting up close and personal with them and tried to ID them. I have many large edge lot maples with goldenrod growing close by. I can't say I've noticed bad effects from that but these are all large mature trees. It may have different effects on seedlings, which come to think of, I can't remember seeing near them. I do have maple seedlings in other places, especially my flower beds. I have yet to tap them so can't say if sap and yield is affected but I doubt it since the roots of large trees reach down much further than the goldenrod and asters.

Plants are pretty smart for being brainless. The "warfare" you describe is pretty common. Walnut trees produces a toxin that kills plants growing near them. And a really pesky invasive grass called japanese stilt grass actually changes the soil pH so native species no longer grow near them. It really is survival of the fittest.

Bucket Head
02-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Hi Tim,

Try searching Cornell's maple program website, and/or e-mail Peter Smallidge, who I think is the Director now. He has a lot of experience and knowledge on sugarbush thinning and knows quite a bit about what works and does'nt work with sugar maples. He has spoke on several of the N.Y. state maple tours about sugarbush managment. From what I know about sugar content, I doubt the goldenrod would adversely affect the tree by the time it was of tapable size. Sugar content is adversely affected by the trees that are growing near the maples that end up shading it and slowing its growth rate. More leaves equals more sugar. When a tree has small branches, or no branches because of competition and crowding, its not producing as much sugar as it could. I could show you some good examples of competition and crowding on some of the maples that are at the edge of the property here.

Contact Cornell and see what they have to say about the surrounding areas of a sugarbush. I'm certain they will have some info and some suggestions for you.

Steve

Clarkfield Farms
02-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks, guys! Yessir, happy - I know about the black walnuts, we've grown them ever since I was a little kid (I'll be 54 next month!). Tomatoes are especially adversely affected by the juglone(sp?). Likewise with goldenrod; I make tinctures from it, I've studied it's other properties for decades but never knew about this. I like having a lot of it around for the honey as well; but when we're talking double-digit acreage of the stuff, well.... maybe a little too much? I agree with you about the use of herbicides, I won't be using any - mowing and getting the fields back into production will be the best ways to reclaim as far as I'm concerned. I just never knew about that particular property of aster and goldenrod that acts like maple birth-control. Maplecide... hmmm.... :) Steve, I'll be doing some checking like you suggest. I'm finding more and more very young maples growing, as I said, in the wooded areas and the older hedgerows. For awhile there, I thought there was just something wrong with the viability of the maple seeds, especially since the ash has gone crazy in doing it's part in the process of succession. Now I know it's the goldenrod etc. Dave (maple flats) has been a big help (no surprise there!) with advice on thinning slowly to prevent undesirable consequences, I hope to put all the information to good use from now on.

I appreciate all the feedback.
- Tim

bowtie
02-20-2012, 07:04 PM
this is good info, i have around 6 acres of goldenrod behind my house and i am currently "converting" some over to apple and fruit trees along with food plots and wanted to planted between 50-100 sugar maple trees each year for the next 7-10. now i am wondering if or how much i will need to cut around saplings ?? if goldenrod only affects maple germination then i wonder if saplings will be ok. i will mow a circle and put weed mats and tree tubes around saplings but would like to have more info before i potentially waste trees and money. i do not want to mow all goldenrod because it is good wildlife cover.

GramaCindy
02-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Just a thought from someone no way near to being knowledgeable in this area…how about burning the fields of goldenrod and asters?

Bucket Head
02-20-2012, 09:43 PM
That would take care of the goldenrod, and everything else! However, most townships around these parts have laws on the books outlawing open burning- mine does. Most sugarmakers are friendly people and enjoy visitors stopping in, but when the visitors are wearings badges, thats another story, lol! Repeated mowings/brush hoggings are the best way to deal with overgrown fields and it looks nicer when its done.

Steve

Clarkfield Farms
02-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Howdy, GramaCindy! Nah, the roots on those plants -- they'd love it if I burned, eliminate the competition for them and they'd burst forth in even greater abundance. Frequent mowing is best.

Steve, are those your buckets up on King Road near me?