PDA

View Full Version : How much sap to start?

Birdland Sugarbush
02-19-2012, 06:38 PM
This is my second season at "serious" sugaring...

I have a 2x4 evaporator with a divided flat pan. Tapped yesterday and have about 25-30 gallons of sap. With 2 55 gallon barrels, I could potentially store a good amount of sap.

My question –*ideally how much sap should I have before I start boiling? I would think I'd need at least 70-75 gallons.

What would you suggest?

Thanks,
Chris

Starting Small
02-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I have a 2X3 with a blower and I had 30 gallons yesterday and started around 12:30 and went till about 4. For me that was good because I did not take up my whole day boiling. For a 2X4 I would say maybe 50 gallons if you do not want to go all day. Yours should do around 12 gph with no blower I am guessing. So 70-75 gallons would put you at around 6 hours. Plus if this is the first boil of the year you need to fill the pans which woluld take several gallons depending on how deep you run it.

BoarsNest
02-19-2012, 07:08 PM
I had a 2 x 5 divided flat pan last year and it boiled around 15 gal. per hour. I agree that you probably would want 75 gal to start and figure that the first boil will be long until you get a draw. I guess the big question is how often can you boil and how many hours at a time do you want to boil? You have to figure your start up takes a little time and your shutdown time takes longer. We had times last year where we had to empty the fire box and took the pan off the arch because we were getting low on sap. That's easy with your flat pan, but can be a little exciting.

wnybassman
02-19-2012, 07:11 PM
I started my 2x4 divided flat pan yesterday about 9:30am with 70 gallons and went to nearly 6:00pm before shutting down. It took FOREVER to get everything cranking along good for some reason. I can usually get it boiling hard in 20-30 minutes from the time I light the match, but yesterday it took well over an hour. After that I cranked along good. I also started the shut down process way too early because this is my first time with a divided pan and I wasn't exactly sure when I needed to let things die off. I can cut that time down next time. I have 20 gallons more sitting but didn't want to fire it up again today for that. Good and cold for the next couple days then Tuesday it look like game on again.

So to answer your question, I'd probably like to see 40-50 gallons before firing with a 2x4

Birdland Sugarbush
02-19-2012, 07:38 PM
Thanks everyone –*lots of good information and questions.

BoarsNest is right, the big question is how long and how often do I want to boil? It's going to be a busy week. If the forecast is accurate, the sap will really be flowing and I may have to do some smaller boils at night.

For a full day of boiling I think I'd be okay in the 50-75 gallon range.

Chris

Sugarmaker
02-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Try to boil what every you get the same day if possible. I have brought home less than 100 gallons and fired up the old King for a hour then shut down.
Regards,
Chris

Round Mtn Mapler
02-20-2012, 04:59 PM
so when you shut down for the night do you leave sap in the pan or do you drain it all off and reload the next day. Just concerned about the sap freezing the pan.

bowtie
02-20-2012, 07:28 PM
this my first year on my own evap and it also a 2x4 with divided pan the only difference is i have a blower, i am not going to start it up unless i have around 70-75 gallons, or unless i have sap and the forecast doesn't call for any runs for a couple of days. the time it takes to start up and shut down would be half the time to boil. i have been getting around 14-16 gph and it normally takes about 1 1/2 to start and then clean up and close up, plus once you get the evap warm and shut it down it seems like you would "wasting" wood for only 3-4hr boils. this is of course assuming you have unlimited time to boil, don't we all.
first 3 3/4 gallons made have all been vermont grade a fancy, not that i really care but wife and kids think it is pretty neat!!