PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Manifolds

ennismaple
03-17-2006, 02:25 PM
Anyone got experience (good or bad) with saddle manifolds? We tried the 1st ones that came out about 15 years ago and found they tended to crack or slide off the hole if there wasn't uniform pressure up/down and left/right on the fittings. They were all replaced after a couple of years.

We do tend to stretch our lines quite tight and due to the bad experience we had with saddle manifolds we now use only cut-in manifolds and either 3-way or 6-way stars. I like the reduced restriction to vacuum and sap flow and would like to use them. Also, given the increases in 5/16" line it can be a lot cheaper to install a $2 one or two way saddle.

Thanks!

Rob Harvey
03-17-2006, 04:56 PM
When I asked about them at G. H. Grimm the guy told me that the two way saddle fittings break. He said most people use the clamp on ones that have a single entrance( the clamp is part of the fitting). Rob

mountainvan
03-17-2006, 06:12 PM
I put a lot of the saddle manifolds in the last couple years. There the cdl ones with two clamps. The trick to getting the laterals tight is to use the straight connecters with the hooks. attach the lateral to the connector, hook it on the mainline wire( all the tension is on the wire not the fitting), and then use a piece of semirigid between the connector and the manifold. works like a charm.

Brian
03-17-2006, 07:20 PM
I use the IPL Multi-fittings and love them but I hook my latteral lines to the mainline wire with a connector with a hook.then use a short piece of tubing goes to the multi fitting. The hook clips on the wire, this way there is no tension on the multi fitting and it also helps me check for vacuum leaks. If the sap is shooting up in to the multi-fitting I know I have an air leak on that line.

powerdub
03-17-2006, 08:55 PM
I too have had good luck with the manifolds but I use 1/4" nylon hollow core rope to tie to the main line insead of the straight connectors with the hooks. If you don't come in at an exact 90 degree angle the main line they will pop off. I use a lot of the cut in type manifolds as well and use the rope to keep the pressure off those too.

brookledge
03-17-2006, 09:16 PM
I use the nylon rope also and it can be used to hold tension on real long spans between trees so that the stress isn't on the tee. And you can tie it off to anything.
Keith

maple flats
04-01-2006, 05:33 AM
I use and like the multi fitting. It has a built in clamp, has a short piece that protrudes into the main slightly and the tension is on a hook coupling with a short loop of 5/16 to the fitting about 10-12" or so away. The hook slips onto the support wire. Design it so you enter at 90 degrees from the last tree the tubing goes around and the main.

Father & Son
01-13-2007, 12:21 PM
Has anyone seen the saddle fittings for 1/2" mainlines? All I have found are saddles for 3/4" mainlines and bigger. I only have 80 - 100 taps on this line I'm going to run and I thought I would save some money by using 1/2" main. I wanted to stay away from the cut in fittings because of flow restriction and cleaning reasons.

Thanks,
Jim

maplehound
01-13-2007, 02:00 PM
I don't believe they make them for 1/2" line. I have foune that 3/4" is the smallest I will go. I have seveal sections of main line wiith only 30 or 40 taps on them then they go back to a 1" main before they reach the tank. Thew more diffrent sizes of main line you have the more diffrent fittings you will need to keep on hand for repaires. You will save $ by staying with one or 2 sizes.

hookhill
01-13-2007, 04:26 PM
We use the 3/4" saddles on 1/2" mainline. Just cut off the bottom half off and use 5" wire ties to fasten them. We also use a dab of slicone around the hole to make sure it seals.

oneoldsap
01-27-2007, 11:15 PM
We use a piece of 14Ga. wire through the hole in a standard 5/16 splice, run it under your main wire and twist it with a pair of pliers a bag tie will hold it where you put it allowing any angle to main line. Dont like those hooked fittings too fragile plus that 90degree thing.

Russell Lampron
01-28-2007, 07:17 AM
I use the IPL 3/4" saddle manifolds and the 5/16" connectors to hold the latteral to the main line wire. I don't like cutting into the mainlines because of restrictions and places for the line to pull apart.

Unfortunately they don't make manifold fittings for 1/2" mainline. The manifolds were designed for use with vacuum and mainlines smaller than 3/4" aren't recommended for use with vacuum.

It is a good idea to set up your tubing system like you were going to use vacuum even if you never do.

Russ

treefinder
01-28-2007, 07:46 PM
they do make a 1/2 " main line saddle they are green rubber i use them alot. use a 5" wire tye to keep them on. only place i've been able to get them is @ MKS or maple maddness. com they have them 35.00 for 50 countboy are they worth it it they seem to work good i have about 100 of them that i have used and so far they hold up good,.nice and flexable!!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-28-2007, 08:59 PM
I think Bascoms carries them along with a lot of other 1/2" fittings also or at least they used to. A lot of small producers still use 1/2" mainline. I have taps in 5 different locations running into tanks and the most I have is 70 to 80 taps and it would be a waste to use anything larger than 1/2 and it is harder to work with.