PDA

View Full Version : Trees already budding in southern WI

kraemerp
02-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Looking for information about if I can still tap and if sap will be any good as the trees I use around town are already budding.

Thanks,

Peter

Hobbyist
30 ish taps

happy thoughts
02-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Buddy sap will give you off smells and flavors. So far I've been lucky in the few years I've been making home syrup but I've heard it described as old socks. Still the questions remain how far along in the budding process are the trees and how desperate for sap are you? If you tap now I'd keep a close eye on any new sap you get and probably not mix it with any older sap or syrup you've already made or collected.

What a weird winter!

C.Wilcox
02-19-2012, 05:57 PM
Not sure if you're taping sugar or silver maples, but if they're silvers they always look like they're budding out. I wouldn't worry either way really. With your location in Beloit I would say you would just be starting to tap about now on a normal year so you're still in plenty of time to join the party.

kraemerp
02-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Thanks,

I was hoping that was the answer...I will put some taps in and see what happens. Not many sugar maples around here but lots of silver and Norway. I have had good luck with them though. Ended up with close to 8 gallons last year

SugarMama
02-20-2012, 08:19 AM
We are about 20 miles from Beloit. Buds have defiantely swollen this last week, but I think you have got plenty of time to tap. Appears to be a nice up and down forecast for next week, should help hold the trees from poping buds hopefully for a while. Happy Tapping

heus
02-20-2012, 09:11 AM
Yeah it always annoys me when people say to me "the trees are already budding." What they are looking at are red and silver buds that have been that way nearly all winter. No way sugars are budding in Wisconsin.

wilfredjr
02-20-2012, 10:41 AM
12 mi NNW of Antigo it hasn't been above 36 yet; -1 overnight Sat/Sun; 10" plus snow in woods.
Target date: 3/3 @ earliest