PDA

View Full Version : Intalling XLE 4040 membranes question

danno
02-19-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm having a senior moment and can't remember how these are installed. Is the U cup (o ring) on the membrane installed in the vessel so that it's at the inflow our outflow end of the vessel and when you slide the membrane in, do you slide the U cup end into the vessel first or the other end of the membrane, and do you slide the membrane in from the inflow side or outflow side?

And do you lightly food grease the U cup prior to install.

I've got the Dow manual, but I don't understand that section.

Thanks

Dan

Russell Lampron
02-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Grease the brine seal on the membrane then slide the U cup on. Put the membrane with U cup installed into the pressure vessel so the the U cup end faces the incoming sap.

wiam
02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
From reading on this site there are some that go different. It depends on RO manufacturer. Is this an older fiberglass vessel with aluminum caps in both ends? If it is the cup O-ring goes on the end with the plug in it.

danno
02-19-2012, 09:45 PM
It is an older vessel - sap enters near the bottom of the vessel on the side wall. Concentrate exits near the top of the vessel on the side wall. Permeate exits at the bottm of the vessel through the end cap. So, u-cup points toward the bottom of the vessel or top - Russ, U cup at the bottom?

And do you slide the membrane in from the top so the u cup is forced open, or slid in from the bottom?