PDA

View Full Version : Liquid inside the float??? vented?

West Mountain Maple
02-17-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm setting up a new to me evap, and while cleaning the float box up, I removed the float and noticed there is some liquid sloshing inside it, feels like close to a cup. Held the float under water, no bubbles. It has a very small tube coming up the bracket the adjuster is on, is this a vent? I can't get any of the water to come out of it if it is. Is this normal to get liquid in there, condensation somehow? It must affect the flotation, it does still seem to have plenty of buoyancy, but should i drill a hole to drain it and patch it? The float is brass.

Brent
02-18-2012, 07:19 AM
Yeh I think it gets in by condensation over many boils and cooling cycles. As long as there is not much it won't affect you much. The level is can be set and maintained as long as there is enough bouyancy to close the valve.
I think the fitting of the vent tube raises a lip inside the box making it difficult to get liquid out. If the box is welded, you could put it on the stove and boil off most of the moisture ... as gently as possible. If it's soldered, then even more care is needed.

A tablespoon or so inside may sound bad but it really does mean much. You could just ignore it.

petersp22
02-18-2012, 07:30 AM
If it's soldered maybe a 250 degree oven for a while would do it.

Brian
02-18-2012, 08:21 AM
Make shore the vent to the float is not plugged because this keeps the moisture from leaving the float