PDA

View Full Version : main line gravity

Round Mtn Mapler
02-17-2012, 02:33 PM
when installing mainline how do you tell if its running down hill?
Aside from looking at it and the obvious.

And when tightening is it ok to use local trees to run wire around them and pull mainline tight?

PerryW
02-17-2012, 02:46 PM
If you can't tell by eye, just use a carpenter's level to make sure it's running downhill.

The method of mainline you describe is called the side pull method. I run my mainline on a 9 gauge steel wire and sidepull to trees with 12 gauge wire. You can get it real tight this way without a comealong. Just use scraps of 5/16 tubing to protect the trees you wrap the wire around. Using the different wire sizes helps because a tree falling on the wire will break the side-pull wire and usually not harm the mainline wire.

Round Mtn Mapler
02-17-2012, 05:31 PM
ok thanks....
kinda new to tubing. seems like all the sap so far is just sitting in the line . and there is nothing in collection tank yet. so far I got 70 taps on the laterals. 100 more to tap next week.

but the sap is not running much yet.

sjdoyon
02-17-2012, 06:08 PM
Here's a photo showing what PerryW described, attaching wire to the trees to keep your mainline up.

Round Mtn Mapler
02-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Here's a photo showing what PerryW described, attaching wire to the trees to keep your mainline up.

Ok thats what I was looking for...thanks for the picture.....

I'm gonna go and do some adjustments.

Ive gotten 5 gallons sap on 50 buckets so far in 2 days.

Nothing on 70 taps on tubing yet.

oneoldsap
02-19-2012, 02:59 PM
Old garden hose cut into short pieces make good tieback insulation too !