PDA

View Full Version : How much am I missing?

mcsap
02-17-2012, 10:27 AM
I keep looking at the weather forecasts and wonder how much sap I am missing by not having my buckets out here in western Mass. I was hoping to wait until at least next weekend to tap, but temps look good next week. Anybody tapped at higher elevations yet?

John

sapbrush
02-17-2012, 11:54 AM
hi well it is running a bit, not crazy yet, some buckest are half full othere just a little, im up probably one of the highest elevations in belchertown tapped early and i have made a gallon or so of real light high sugar syrup, so i would try to get them in the weather looks almsot perfect ther next week or so jim

wcproctor
02-17-2012, 04:16 PM
I don't know what your elevation is but where I am about 650 asl the sap is moving fast.

mcsap
02-17-2012, 06:28 PM
We're at about 1450'. It is always cooler up here than where I work in the Valley, but still some days have seemed pretty mild. I keep thinking we'll get a good cold spell. Maybe the best way to guarantee it is to put the buckets out.

mcsap
02-21-2012, 02:34 PM
Went ahead and got most of the buckets out on Sunday and Monday. After cleaning out the tanks and barrels on Sunday, we put out 10 buckets around the yard and most were running. Monday was colder, only about 32F all day, and I got another 37 buckets out in the afternoon, most not running. Holding a few in reserve till I figure out which trees run best and which buckets leak the most, likely will get up around 60 buckets for a while. Maybe make a few gallons next weekend as it looks like the sap will run a few days this week.

mcsap
03-02-2012, 08:34 AM
I was right. Since getting all the buckets out we've had only a few days of half-hearted sap runs. About 60 gallons of sap last week and less this week.

madmantr
03-04-2012, 10:29 AM
I got 46 gals of sap out of 10 taps from 02/26 to 03/02 in Wilbraham. Only got a hair over a gallon of syrup after filtering and all but it's the nicest I've made in the 3 years I ' ve been boiling. Only 17 gals since then .Hopefully today will be better. Some of the trees are showing buds forming . How far can I go before it goes bitter?