PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Orwell, 40 miles north of Syracuse

Zachary Hoyt
02-17-2012, 08:15 AM
Set a test tap late Wednesday and the remaining 24 taps yesterday morning. Today I looked in three buckets and all were over half full.
Zach

sugar ED
02-17-2012, 10:42 PM
Set a test tap late Wednesday and the remaining 24 taps yesterday morning. Today I looked in three buckets and all were over half full.
Zach
Hi Zach ,It's a little bit colder up this way , started tapping Wen.at 9 am put in 28 total as of 12 noon yesterday/ thrs. ran all night too,this morning at 10 ,55 gals sap. Now up to 105 taps and just checked the holding tanks with flash light, looks to be at about 140 gals ( more than most years ,but I've tapped 1' to 2' above the ground this yr., never before could I even find that part of the tree trunk at this time of the year! Had to stand on my tippy toes to find the old holes . Going to try to put in another 145 taps sat. and sun, but I may need to start boiling sat after noon if my trees/weather continue to be so nice! .Good luck sapping ! Ed

Zachary Hoyt
02-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Ed, I hope your boiling went or will go well, and you had a good sap run. I'm planning to boil tomorrow, not sure how much sap I have now but must be at least 50 gallons between what is in the can and what is on the trees. Never used an evaporator before so I am expecting a bit of a learning curve. I've been doing some reading about how to run it.
Zach