PDA

View Full Version : Fitting Flat Filters

Roadking
03-16-2006, 03:27 PM
I just got a 12 x 20 filter tank/canner. I have orlon and prefilters which are 36 x 36. The filter rack base is approximately 19.5 x 11.5. My question is do I cut the filters to fit the rack exactly or larger so they go up the sides which are about 2" high. I also read a post a while back that told how to fold the filters in a "Z" pattern but I can't find it now. Can anyone help me?
Thanks

ennismaple
03-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Leave them bigger so they overlap the edge. We use clothespins to fold the filters over and help hold everything in place.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I have a 16 x 24 filtering and canning unit and use the 36 x 36. What you can do is when your filtering gets slow, you can slide the filter and prefilters over and speed up the fitering. Be careful with them hanging over the sides about turning up the heat too much under the canner as it will bake the edges of the fiter. :?

You could cut the filter in 1/2 and still have two filters more than big enough. :D

maple flats
03-16-2006, 08:42 PM
I forget the exact size of my filters but I run them up the sides and they hang out from under the cover a little. I use 1 filter and about 5 pre filters. When the flow drops too much i carefully pull out the top pre filter and save it to wash out, the rest of the syrup is now flowing thru the rest of the layers. I repeat this til I either have a canner full or I get down to 2 pre filters, at this point if I need more to can a batch I wash all filters and start again, but usually it is ready to can. As I draw off the evap I use a cone shapped prefilter as it flows into my collection pot (I use a 16 and 20 qt ss pot alternately, one in wash one in use)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-16-2006, 09:17 PM
If I am filtering a lot, I start off with about 10 to 12 prefilters and I can filter around 25 to 30 gallons or two canners full on one fillter and 10 to 12 prefilters. :D