PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Somers

somershobby
02-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Tapped 7 trees about noon yesterday. Sap seems to be running slow. Maybe tapping late last year the sap was running beter but one of my trees last year was giving 4 to 5 gal per day. In two days I only have about 2.5 gal . Is every one in north CT having the ame problem.

Starting Small
02-16-2012, 07:38 PM
I am in East Windsor and I am definitely seeing the same thing. I think after todays rain we will see an uptick in production. The ground is just too dry to have the trees produce much I think. If my predictions are correct tomorrow should be pretty good.

sirhart1
02-17-2012, 05:16 AM
got 150 gals Thursday night in Stafford. Going out to start vacuum pump now. Hoping to have a good weekend.

Starting Small
02-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Today may not be as good as I was hoping. It did not get as cold last night. Time will tell.

somershobby
02-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Same problem today here too. I as hopeing to do a first batch this weekend but with 10 gallons doesnt look good. Tonight is supposed to get colder maybe tomorrow will be the day. I also have 5 acres in stafford full of maple i could tap but my operation is too small to keep up with the sap. Wishfull thinking maybe next year.

Starting Small
02-17-2012, 03:21 PM
I was going to keep things under 20 taps this year but because of the slow sap I increased to about 38 just to get enough to do some boiling.

Tom59
02-17-2012, 05:33 PM
I got about 8 gallons today off 14 taps. Some trees produced a lot more than others. Hoping to have enough to boil on sunday. Right now i have 15 gallons stored.

sirhart1
02-17-2012, 06:38 PM
got about 70 gals today. Still waiting for that big day to come. We need to remember it's still early.
Good luck over the weekend.

Starting Small
02-17-2012, 06:58 PM
I would kill to get a quarter-half a gallon per tap the way things are going!

somershobby
02-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Well the temp is dropping hopefully it will get nice and warm tomorrow maybe we will have some flow. I might just boil what I have tomorrow I just need a taste. Ha Ha. If I have a couple more gallons by noon Im going for it. Good luck!!! I think I will empty my buckets either way in the a.m. just to see what I get for gallonage tomorrow. tell me if this seems weard but two ofmy trees are in a spot on my property near my pond (within 20 feet) and they seem to be giving the least. Almost dry

Tanta K
02-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Slow but steady in Hamden. 25 gallons from 25 taps. Sigh. Had to throw a bit away due to yellowing (from rain perhaps) and loads of sugar ants and moths. The rest seems clear and sweet so I'm boiling again tomorrow. Never give up until the peepers sing.

somershobby
02-18-2012, 10:50 AM
I am seeing some good flow today in about half my trees. Looks like the first boil will happen this afternoon and tomorrow. Sweet nectar from heaven!!!!!!!!!! CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!The other trees are still shaded untill the afternoon hope to see the same flow from them later.

bunkerchump
02-18-2012, 09:29 PM
Today in Seymour, it started off good but it clouded up quick and it seemed to really slow. Got 14 taps in so far. Between late yesterday and 3pm today, a little less than 8 gallons. Hopefully it picks up so I can run my first boil tommorrow.

somershobby
02-18-2012, 09:38 PM
I just boiled my first batch today. Only had ten gallons but ended up with a quart of beautiful light to med amber. I was going to wait untill I got more but I got the itch and had to taste what I was in for this year. maybe only being my second year Im a bit over excited.

Starting Small
02-19-2012, 05:42 AM
The last two or three nights have not gotten below freezing. This seriously slowing down sap production. I am in northern ct so I am guessing only people in the state with sap runs are the ones in the hills.

sirhart1
02-19-2012, 05:48 AM
Well yesterday started out well but it took a turn down hill around 4:00. All the suger sand (niter) caked on the finishing pan and well that ended a good day of boiling. We were able to make 5+ gallons before it happened but still have around 150 gals of sap.
I have all the pans apart and cleaning them now. Hoping to have everything back together today and start boiling first thing in the AM.
Thanks for the day off Mr Presidents!!!!!

somershobby
02-26-2012, 10:49 AM
finnished my second weekend of boiling. Borrowed a 2x3 pan from a friend cut my time in half from the 5 gal pot i was using. still this week I only had about 25 to 30 gallons of sap from 12 taps. ended up with a half gallon of nice stuff. put more taps in at mydads in stafford i have about 20 now this week looks good cold nights worm sunny days hope to do better next week.