PDA

View Full Version : Drill bit question

Troutman10
02-16-2012, 06:22 PM
I bought a 7/16" drill bit for my tapping last year and have used it so far this year as well. I got my bit at a Lowe's store. It's clean and I've only used it for tapping maple trees. Should I have bought a more specialized bit made specifically for tapping maple trees or is what I bought ok?

spencer11
02-16-2012, 06:25 PM
if you have the same number of taps you have in your signature, then a regular bit should be fine. i did my 95 with a regular bit. im getting the canadian brand bits for next year with the number of taps i will have. a regular bit is fine, a special bit will work just be overkill with the small # of taps.

spencer

Troutman10
02-16-2012, 06:32 PM
Can a better bit mean a better hole and maybe a better seal with the tap?

collinsmapleman2012
02-16-2012, 06:58 PM
yeah it can but it doesnt matter with few taps. another thing is that you have to be very careful as not to wobble in the hole. have done it too many times myself and had sap running down the tree

Vermonner
02-23-2012, 12:07 AM
wouldn't worry about it with a small number of taps. Did a huge bush last week and they made it a point to have the bit sharpened the entire length of the flute. Seemed to 'pull' the Dewalt right in. Leave it spinning on the way out and it 'cleaned' the hole also