PDA

View Full Version : Tapping

Brad W Wi
03-16-2006, 08:31 AM
Had a great day on Wed. Most my pails were 1/2+ full,(3.5 gal pails) some were running over. It's been slow up till now. The weather is to change on Thurs. with up to 8" of snow. Hope for better weather.

Packerfan
03-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Hi Brad!
When do you start up north? Winter. How long does it normally last up there? I'm having fun down here (Spring Green), but hope to get up to my cabin in April.

-Dan

Brad W Wi
03-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Packerfan, I won't be doing any in Winter this year. I'm putting a complete new set up and building this summer on a 40 I own. Everything is bought just waiting for warm weather to start. Usually it starts running up there as I'm finishing up in Cedarburg. It's amazing what 300 miles can do. But this year it's so different it's just starting to run here good and a friend of mine that taps a few is getting some as well. I'm 3 miles off Lake Michigan here and it makes a big difference in our weather.

Brad W Wi
03-17-2006, 04:58 AM
We got 3" of the predicted 8" of snow and it must have gotten the sap really running in Cedarburg. I did better today than yesterday, and the weather forcast is for in the mid 20's at night and up to low 40's in the day for next week.

Dropflue
03-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Brad,

How is the new evaporator working out? Last year when I talked to you, you were still using flat pans.

Brad W Wi
03-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Still using the flat pan for this year. I just bought a 2x8 Dallaire, and another 250 pails. I'm looking foward to setting it up this year. I'll be putting up a 20'x36' building with a 4' overhang on one side for wood storage (slab will be 24'x40'). The building will be bigger than I need but if I want to expand it's there and I'll be able to store some of my toys in it during the off season. We start building as soon as we can put the slab in.I'll be retiring at the end of the year and I'll be able to tap in Cedarburg Wisc. with my flat pan and in Winter Wisc. with my new set up. As usual I'll be asking for advise on "Maple Trader" A person can't go wrong with the help you get off here.