PDA

View Full Version : Are used tubing & fittings recyclable?

Ragged View
02-16-2012, 07:17 AM
I mean in the "trash", not in the bush. If tees, drops & spiles are replaced every couple or few years, that's a lot of "plastic".
Thanks,
Mark

Dill
02-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Not yet to my knowledge. It stinks to throw that much plastic out. I know there was some pilot programs in VT, but I think one of the sticking points was that fittings are made from a different plastic than tubing.

danno
02-16-2012, 08:30 AM
There was just an article in the most recent edition of the Maple News regarding a large recycling effort in Vt. for tubing - so I guess so.

maplwrks
02-16-2012, 08:37 AM
Most recycling centers in Vt. now take clean tubing for recycling.

Russell Lampron
02-16-2012, 05:42 PM
The tubing can be recycled but the fittings can't. Also the old vinyl tubing isn't recyclable. I believe that VT is the only state that is doing it at this time.

moeh1
02-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Cornell's maple site has detailed info on this and much can be recycled into plastic furniture. Older PVC stuff can't.
Marty

wiam
02-16-2012, 09:17 PM
From what I have heard here in VT there was a time last fall and there will be a time in the spring. 5/16 can be recycled if it floats. The fittings can be left in. Mainline can be recycled with all metal removed(wire,clamps,ties, metal fittings) I believe the mainline has to be cut into pieces.

The Sweet Spot
02-17-2012, 05:52 AM
Hello; I live in northern Michigan, and we have a great recycling program. If it is plastic it is recyclable, here anyway! I beleive it does have alot to do with the simple fact of, can your recycling center sell it. I went to the center last spring with some recyeling and some to go to the land fill and I (gladly) had to sort through everything in my load to pull out anything that was plastic. Any kind of plastic, even old deterating polyproplene tarps.