PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Southwestern, CT!

bunkerchump
02-15-2012, 10:20 PM
Just wanted to say hi. I'm the greenest of all greenhorns as far as sugaring goes. I'm going to give it a go though. Thought about it for 3 years and thankfully stumbled on this site. Learned some from you tube vids, but the very basic of questions I still are unsure of. My goal for this year is out of 16 taps, I get 8oz of syrup without having to be hospitalized (from burns, food poisoning, wildlife, etc.) I like to set my goals low to avoid disappointment. I'll search around the site and see what I can learn to avoid too many stupid questions, but please bear with me. My wife thinks I'm crazy, and wonders why I'm not working on painting the living room this horrible color that some interior decorator told her to use. One of the reasons why this year is the year to start a new hobby.

John

killingworthmaple
02-16-2012, 05:40 AM
Hi John welcome we were all new a some point. I live here in CT if you have any questions give me a call and we can chat. About your wife tell her she will have to join the hoddy or become a maple widow for a month or two each year. That is what my wife calls herself "maple widow"

Nathan
860-604-8115

bunkerchump
02-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Hi John welcome we were all new a some point. I live here in CT if you have any questions give me a call and we can chat. About your wife tell her she will have to join the hoddy or become a maple widow for a month or two each year. That is what my wife calls herself "maple widow"

Nathan
860-604-8115

Hi Nathan. Thanks for the offer. I'll give you a call. Maple Widow is a great term. So far, she is just rolling her eyes a bit. I think she figured I wasnt serious. I saw the concerned look in her eyes when one of my supply shipments came earlier this week. Thanks again!

convertible_lincoln
02-17-2012, 10:52 AM
Hi John - Where in SW CT are you located? I'm also a very novice backyard guy, but have been doing it for a few years. I'm in Bedford NY, so may be near to you depending on where you are. Would be happy to share what I've learned, a few times the hard way! You can email me: convertible_lincoln (at) hotmail dot com, I'll be home most of the weekend boiling on the back patio. Good luck!

bunkerchump
02-17-2012, 07:50 PM
Hi John - Where in SW CT are you located? I'm also a very novice backyard guy, but have been doing it for a few years. I'm in Bedford NY, so may be near to you depending on where you are. Would be happy to share what I've learned, a few times the hard way! You can email me: convertible_lincoln (at) hotmail dot com, I'll be home most of the weekend boiling on the back patio. Good luck!

I'm in Seymour (Next to Shelton in Fairfield County).. Your west of me. I tapped today. Had a mixture of spiles to try different things. Plastic 5/16 with tube, 7/16 alum and 5/16 alum. Took a while getting the swing of it, but ended up setting 15 taps. Not much sap today here, but it was an awesome day weather-wise. Still working on my fire pit. I'll send you an e-mail and I would appreciate some advice, thanks for offering. How are things running over there? Good luck this weekend. Hopefully I can get enough tomorrow to do my first boil! John