PDA

View Full Version : Cooling the fluid for vacuum pump with a radiator

sweet willy
02-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Was wondering if anyone is cooling the water of a liquid ring vacuum pump with a radiator and fan? How did it work, good, alright...?

wiam
02-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Guy I got mine from did this. He sold it to me and went with an oil cooled. That tells me it did not work very well. I run spring water into my tank and water temp stays down. If I did not have a source of water I would go oil.

lew
02-16-2012, 07:30 AM
I have mine set up so that I am sucking my water through a 3/4 inch line that is attached to coil of 100 foot 3/4 inch line that is sunk in a small spring hole that we dug out to about 2 foot deep. water constantly runs there but not that fast. It acts like a radiator. Can't give you any numbers but it does help keep the coolant temps down.

Amber Gold
02-16-2012, 08:16 AM
I did this the first year and it works well enough. The fan needs to run 24/7 because you'll cool the stock tank of water overnight because it will build up heat during the day. The only issue is on the hot days because the system can't cool it below ambient air. I have a 1.5hp LR pump and had it hooked up to a 100 gal stock tank and a radiator out of an S-10. An outside cold water source is the best solution.

danno
02-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Sorry if off topic - for those using an outside cool water source, do you have a filter in line before the water enters the pump?

I use 5/16" lateral line into a creek next to the sugarhouse for the pump and it works great. I used a small inline filter, but it plugged pretty quickly form sediment from the creek and than the vac simply collapsed the paper filter inside the plastic filter housing.

Amber Gold
02-16-2012, 09:06 AM
No. I use a pond as my cold water source and drilled small holes in a quart size jug so I can't suck up large particles, drilled a hole in the cap, put the lateral through the hole and put a tee on the end so the lateral can't pull through. Works pretty slick.

wiam
02-16-2012, 09:41 PM
Sorry if off topic - for those using an outside cool water source, do you have a filter in line before the water enters the pump?

I use 5/16" lateral line into a creek next to the sugarhouse for the pump and it works great. I used a small inline filter, but it plugged pretty quickly form sediment from the creek and than the vac simply collapsed the paper filter inside the plastic filter housing.

I use an inline filter. It has a screen in it, not a filter. I think it is something made for use on a sprayer. Tractor supply has them. Here is a link. http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/search?p=R&srid=S6-4&lbc=tractorsupply&w=sprayer%20parts&url=%2f-211410699&rk=14&uid=789991424&sid=2&ts=custom&rsc=fOS6jEE:c9b22kn0&method=and&isort=score&view=grid&domainSpecificUrl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.tractorsupply.c om%2f-211410699