PDA

View Full Version : wiring my blower motor

kboyer
02-15-2012, 05:20 PM
I have a new 2x6 leader inferno arch. I would like to wire a regular cord with 3 prong on the end so that I can unplug it in the off season. I am not an electician by any means but I would like to do this. any idea how the wires need to connect?

VTFarmer
02-18-2012, 11:20 AM
Chances are if you're asking you probably should have an electrician do it for you but if you want to give it a go...the cord coming out of the motor will have 3 wires (black, white, and green). The green could also be just a bare copper wire. The green (or bare wire) is ground so that will connect to the third (round) prong on your plug. White goes to the larger of the two blade prongs, and black on the smaller.

If there's not a pigtail already wired to the motor or it's got more than 3 wires, get an electrician...

maple flats
02-18-2012, 05:46 PM
The cord (cable) will have a black, white and green (or bare) wire in it. Get a 3 prong cord end that has a clamp to hold the cable and open it up. Feed the cable thru from the clamp end. Carefully slit the cable jacket for about 2" be careful not to nick the insulation jacket on the 3 (sometimes only 2, depending on the cable used the ground might not be insulated) insulated wires. Next strip the 3 wires exactly 1/2" of their insulation. All 3 must be equal length. Next slide the green or bare wire into the wire clamp or screw that is green or has a green screw and tighten firmly. If hooking to a screw, hook it around clockwise looking at the screw head. Next repeat with the white and then finally the black wires. Now gently slide the face of the plug on tight and screw the 2 or 3 screws that hold it in place and finally tighten the clamp. If the outer insulation jacket is not in the clamp you cut too much of the outer jacket. If you are working with stranded wire it is far better to tin them. Use rosin core solder, get at Radio Shack, clean the wire with a fine metal brush, brass is best, or SS but even steel works ok. Heat the wire using a electric soldering gun and gently hold the solder against the twisted wire . remove wire and solder from heat as soon as the solder begins to flow. The wire is now tinned and will hold together as you form a hook on the end or insert it into a clamp.
Good luck. After you have done one it will be easy each time after.