PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first arch, looking for advice please!

DSKUP
02-15-2012, 01:12 PM
After eight years of concrete, I'm looking to buy a locally-made steel arch from a fab shop. The pans they offer are batch, not continuous flow. I'm thinking about a six foot arch with a 2x4' drop flue pan (6" flues, 10" pan rise) and a 2x2 syrup pan. They also can do a 2x4' arch. I'm just a hobbyist, 100+ taps but also looking to minimize evap time and increase production over time.

So just a few rookie questions:

- I've been told I don't want to go continuous flow with such a low production level (too much expense and continous monitoring of the process). Other opinions?

- Assuming I go batch, does it make sense to have both a flue and syrup pan running in "batch" mode (not continuous flow)?

-If so, assuming I use a pump or other method to get the sap from one pan to the other... how would I transition at the end of the batch to only boiling on the syrup pan without scortching the flue pan? With a concrete arch, I would just swing my pan off to the side when done. This doesn't seem possible with a drop flue pan.

-Would I be better off with the 2x4' arch and flue pan, then using a 2x2 on propane to finish?

Any help explaining how this system would work would be most appreciated!!!

Thanks!

red maples
02-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Alright so if you only have 100+ taps and don't wanna go any bigger then why don't you just make an 18" x 5" foot evap? and make it a continous flow.
I think a flue pan would be a pain to do batch not really sure about that I guess it would work. Would you be boiling on weekends only or a few times during the week? for me I really don't like boiling anything less than 150 gallons which is about <4 hours for me once everything gets hot it really cranks. (thats a 2x6 with a 4' flue pan. )

I really think if you go the 2x6 or even 18"x 5 ' route your gonna want a continuous flow its so much more easy beleive me your not gonna wanna have to deal with transfering sap by hand. I would never wanna do that!!!! just let the evap do its thing and draw when its ready!!! thats it as far as the syrup goes. there's too much other stuff to worry about!!! I say just make it easier for yourself.

No way to remove the flue pan in that setup. just too hot and too heavy!!! and well it just doesn't work!!!

just my 2 cents

SSFLLC
02-15-2012, 02:15 PM
I would go 2x6. raised flu 2x4 ( easier to clean than a drop flu. ) syrup pan 2x2 with reversable flow. Go with the higher sides for the flu pan. If you ever want to put a hood or steamaway on it the 10" splashes too much sap up. Keith

killingworthmaple
02-15-2012, 09:27 PM
I have been in your situation don't go with the batch deal go with the continuous flow you will be much happier.

Nathan

sbingham
02-16-2012, 09:14 PM
I started out with a 2'x4' flat pan for the first 5 years, great unit to get started on with 50 or so taps, 6-8 gallons per hour evaporation rate.
Last year I went with a 2'x6' WF Mason hobby unit with a blower and continuous flow pan.
Really did not know what to expect, I love it and would have a hard time ever going back to a flat pan. Evaporation rates are around 16 gallons per hour, it is a fun unit to cook on.
The continuous flow pan is as simple as watching the thermometer and drawing off as needed.