PDA

View Full Version : Will the sap eventually get to where it needs to be?

Starting Small
02-15-2012, 09:12 AM
So I tapped 5 trees yesterday for a total of 9 taps. I pulled everything as tight as I could and I went to check today. There was some but not alot of sap in the bucket but the lines seemed filled in certain areas. I think 2 places might be a slight low spot. Will the sap eventually get pushed from the new sap to the bucket? I am assuming it would work like the drain in your sink. The low point always has water but gets pushed by the new water. This is not on a vacuum. Thanks,

hitnspit
02-15-2012, 03:41 PM
waiting to hear what people have to say here. I tapped 12 trees yesterday with buckets and sap is flowing verywell. So i drilled a few more trees that i have plastic and as i drill the hole sap is pouring out of it. I go to put the tap in and i see nothing at all. lines are tight and nothing is plugging them up so cant wait to hear what others have to say. .....jim

TunbridgeDave
02-15-2012, 05:05 PM
One thing to remember is that the tap hole always seems to run good when you first drill it. Just make sure everything runs downhill and be patient.

Starting Small
02-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Is vapor lock something to worry about? Also, should I make a hole in the line to allow air out at the beginning of the line or will this kill any natural vac 9 taps would have?

Walling's Maple Syrup
02-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Starting Small, vapor lock is not an issue. When the sap runs, the gases and pressure the tree creates will push the sap out of the lines. Also, a vent on tubing is not a good idea as this will allow microbes(bacteria) to enter your tapholes and dry them out quicker, resulting in less sap yield throughout the season.

rookie
02-15-2012, 09:49 PM
i have the same problem on one of my tubing runs, full lines nothing in the collection bucket. my other tubing run thats on a hill with just a few more taps got almost 5 gallons, never did tubing before .....

spud
02-16-2012, 04:43 AM
It sounds like your trees are not running well enough yet but give it time. You could have 5-50 taps on a line all going uphill 10 feet and the sap would still flow into your tank. Just don't let the end of your line go into your sap in the tank or it will suck it back up into your lines.

Spud

Starting Small
02-16-2012, 09:12 AM
So it sounds like the most important thing on gravity tubing is to make sure that your taps are higher than the collection tank. Water will eventually flow downhill. So I will not be too concerned with the slight dip in the line in one or two spots.

Mcdugle
02-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Does it matter if the collection tank is also air tight? Or does the tank need to be vented

maple flats
02-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Tank should be vented. The only tanks not vented are vacuum tanks.