PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Vac System

treehugger
02-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Has anyone had any luck with making/using homemade vac systems for sap collection?

Greenwich Maple Man
02-15-2012, 12:01 PM
Has anyone had any luck with making/using homemade vac systems for sap collection?

What do you mean by "homemade"?

treehugger
02-15-2012, 01:06 PM
What do you mean by "homemade"?

I have heard of people using poolfilter pumps, Milk vac systems, etc.. I was just wondering if there was a more inexpensive way to add vacuum, especially for a smaller operation. The vac equipment in the catalogues are very expensive, and yes I understand that you will eventually will get a return on investment. But for the "tinkerer", is there a feasable way to do this?

02-15-2012, 02:05 PM
Probably a diaphragm pump no releaser or a milk system I got 200 in my. Vac system including a manifold

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
02-15-2012, 02:36 PM
funny thing. I was out collecting, and decided to put my 12volt 2.1 gph diaphram pump that is run by our kawasaki mule , onto the hose gong into the collection tank. this bush has only 17 on gravity. It pulled in sap good, and spit it out the other hoses and into a little bucket. I pulled the 3 end taps on each seperate lateral and could suck sap out of my had into the tap. This is cool, but i was wondering if this could get air locked or anything like that? What do those diaphram sap sucker pumps need? do they need a dry line as well?
well furthermore with my expiramenting, i think ill try to get a batery and the right size hose to go into 5/16, and try it on a few other taps that arent spread farout, because it did suck sap out of the holes.
now im very curious... :rolleyes:

treehugger
02-15-2012, 04:03 PM
That's interesting Clark Farm. Did you see an increase in sap, compared to not using it, with that 12 volt pump? And 500592, this vac stuff is new to me, what do you mean by manifold? I'm wondering if hooking up a sump pump to my main line would increase sap collection.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
02-15-2012, 04:57 PM
I didnt run it for more than 15 min. due to the fact i wanted to keep my battery alive for the Mule. But i didnt have the right size hose connector for the 5/16 tubing so sticking the tank hose of 5/16 into the 1/2inch pump hose didnt work the best, but i found it cleared the lines fast and i believe with the right plumbing to the pump, it would pull pretty good. as i said i could put sap in my hand and suck it through the tap. I did alittle testing to see if it worked better with a tap out of the tree, venting the system, or with a leak free system, and the leak free is the best i think, just like anyother vacuum system. I will expirament somemore when i have some time to goof around with it.

02-15-2012, 05:39 PM
The sump won't work the diaphram pump will work good the manifold is wher my lines come in.

treehugger
02-23-2012, 02:25 PM
I need to revisit this topic and need some advice regarding connecting a diaphragm pump to my set up. I have about 1000' of 1/2" mainline with 180 taps. Most of the set up is on a greater than 15-20 degree slope, but there are two spans that I really had to work to get to flow with gravity. I am hoping that there is a comonly available diaphragm pump that can be applied to the mainline. I can not afford a sap puller or a vac system at this time. Is there any pump that may help my situation? Thanks.

Oh yeah the mainline is new, so I can't change it to 3/4 at this time either.