PDA

View Full Version : Second year and I want more!!!!

somershobby
02-15-2012, 08:30 AM
Im just starting my second year of sugaring. Last year I started just to see what would happen with my young children. As we got in to it we found out how much fun it was. We started late in the year so we only ended up with about a gallon with four kids it didnt last too long. ( my wife likes to make scratch pancakes and waffles). This year I was planning on makeing an evaperator (losing my job made that not a possibility this year) so its back to the 5 galon pot on a camp cheff boiler. I am hopeing for 5 or 6 gallons of finished product this year. I have found this to be a fun and addictive hobby. If anyone can give me a few pointers on boiling the sap down quicker than the propane stove or how to make a CHEAP evaperator please let me know. THE SEASON IS TOO SHORT

Maplehobbyist
02-15-2012, 04:59 PM
It's all about surface area when it comes to boiling. The more you have, the faster the sap turns into syrup. I did a turkey fryer last year with a big pot on it. It held a lot of sap but it didn't boil it off very fast; I was getting about a gallon per hour. To do it on the cheap, I'd look for something that was bigger but not so deep. Most people that run systems where the heat is only on the bottom of the pan (not on the sides) run very shallow, maybe a couple inches at most. That way they maximize the heated surface area to volume ratio. I always ran deeper than that because I had a very poor arrangement for storing sap--well, none actually. So everything I collected went in the pot, so my collection vessels could go back on the trees. A lot of people, myself included now, use steam pans like you'd see in a buffet line. If you can find one of them to replace your 5 gallon pot, you might get a better rate of boil. That would mean less time boiling, but that means you'll need a place to keep the excess sap in the mean time. I have also heard people mention they insulate around the flames to keep the heat under the pan as much as possible. I didn't do that so have no recommendations how that was accomplished.

Greg Freeze
02-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Yes, surface area is everything. I don't know what or even if you have a budget, but here's the link for the cheapest buffet pans I know of. You'll want the stainless steel. Godd Luck!

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/spillage%20pan.html

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Im just starting my second year of sugaring. Last year I started just to see what would happen with my young children. As we got in to it we found out how much fun it was. We started late in the year so we only ended up with about a gallon with four kids it didnt last too long. ( my wife likes to make scratch pancakes and waffles). This year I was planning on makeing an evaperator (losing my job made that not a possibility this year) so its back to the 5 galon pot on a camp cheff boiler. I am hopeing for 5 or 6 gallons of finished product this year. I have found this to be a fun and addictive hobby. If anyone can give me a few pointers on boiling the sap down quicker than the propane stove or how to make a CHEAP evaperator please let me know. THE SEASON IS TOO SHORT

Sounds like you caught the bug too!!!!
Hey bud don't worry about the coin, it's all about the fun. Start small, we all have, I went from 1 gal. the first year to 8 gal. the second to 30 gal. the third it grows on you like a cold. Your amount of yum will grow with how much you want to expand, that's fun too.
Good luck and best wishes!

Shawn.

somershobby
02-15-2012, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys so much. I found this sight just looking through google for some ideas. This is a great forum and has proven to be very helpful.Thanks for the link. I have a three burner boiler (turkey fryer) that is probably 32 in by16 in if i can find a pan that size i could put 3 burners worth of heat on it. Think Im getting more excited the more I learn. Thanks again!!!!!!

backyard sugaring
02-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Somershobby, My children live for this time of the year. Steam pans, roaster pans work real well if you can get your hands on some concrete blocks you could build a block arch. We have an evaporator and the children at least one during the year ask to make syrup the old fashion way. We take out the fire pit,I put two pieces of rebar across it and the lobster pot on top of the rebar. Of course we also bring out the Marshmallows. My wife says I make the most expensive syrup in the world, but the time with the family and friends is priceless. Sounds like a comercial. LOL Good luck this season and feel free to ask questions. Lee

somershobby
02-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks Lee, It sure is fun. Last year after my last batch I had about 20 family and friends over for a breakfast so everyone could try it out. They all loved it and couldnt believe it came from my back yard. Thats the best part. Next year I hope to have enough money to tap my fathers 5 acres. Tons of maples up there. I could probably do 500 or so taps. maybe Im thinking too big for my britches right now but I love it and The trees are there If I want them,

gbwez
02-18-2012, 02:17 AM
Try and get a military surplus GI roasting pan. Got one last year and could boil down 4 galls per hour on a basic fire arch. Paid about $50 or it but these things are quarter inch aluminum and will last forever

Sdave
02-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Try ACityDiscount.com They have 4" deep full size steam pans for about 7 bucks. look under catering.
Dave

somershobby
02-18-2012, 09:30 PM
Well boiled my first batch today. I only had 10 gallons or so but I ended up with exactly a quart. Ended up a nice light to med amber. and man did it taste good. The wife says she is going to make home made waffles in the morning Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!! Didnt like going through almost an entire tank of propane though. Going to build myself a Wood fired evaperator this week.I have what I think coild be the perfect shell to build one in the barn. I will post pics when Im done.

somershobby
02-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Just finnished my second my second boil last night. Got a half gallon from about 25 gallons. I am hopeing this week is better I am now up to 20 taps and the nights look cold at 25 degrees and the days look worm in the mid 40s. My goal for 5 to 6 gallons for the season is slipping away with only 3/4 of a gallon in 2 boils. Like I said inmy first post I WANT MORE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh ......picking up a hydromiter today for what I do is it worth having one or is doing a spoon test good enough. I was also disapointed yesterday because of the wind. I made a home made arch set up so i could use the abundance of wood i have and notspend another 30 dollars in propane and that didnt work out. planning on a shack for next year..