PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Tapped Yet?

SugarMama
02-15-2012, 07:40 AM
Looks like some solid sugaring weather for the next 7 days in Southern WI. Then a bit of Cold last week in Feb. Anybody planning in Tapping?

Jeff E
02-15-2012, 11:23 AM
This is nail biting time. I checked 3 long range forcasts this morning for my area. 1 had 3 days in the next 10 above 34 deg, 1 had 7 out of 10 above 34, the last had 8 out 10 above 34.
I will decide on Friday morning if I will tap on Saturday.
Personally, I would like an excuse to hold of another week or 2, but I also dont want to let 2 early weeks of sap go by, especially if April is a bust, like 2 years ago...

Watching and waiting, patience Wisconsin, patience!

WI Sugarpop
02-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Watching and waiting!!

HOSER
02-15-2012, 12:58 PM
I'm located in Green County, close to the stateline. I'm gonna tap on Saturday, this is only 10 days earlier than my usual. I talked with a friend (taps a mile away) who decided to do it tonight.

jgavic
02-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Located in central WI and will be waiting. If it does run I think it will be minor due to the frost we have. I am guessing it will be around March 4th. The last few years we have been tapping around the 11th of March.
I want to make sure I get those April runs if the weather holds

SugarMama
02-15-2012, 02:21 PM
We are in Walworth County almost on the IL border. We decided to tap.... Put in about 50 taps; mix of sugars and silvers earlier today, the sap was running down the trees! Will be working like a mad woman to get everything tapped over the next few days ;)

jmayerl
02-15-2012, 04:58 PM
Not tapped in yet but the test taps are running. No snow cover, very little frost, and lots of swelled buds. Very weird year. Once I hear that the pans are done, the buckets are going up.

ehafkey
02-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Just trying to wait. I would love to go this weekend but may wait until first week of March. I'll let you know when I start.

logboy
02-16-2012, 02:17 AM
I'm holding off for a while yet in the EC area. I'm at 110 taps on gravity lines, still have more to go to get 200. I'm guessing about the time the lines are finished it will be time to start drilling. I have 2 test taps on buckets. Not a drop so far.

driske
02-16-2012, 03:22 AM
Planned on waiting until the 23rd of Feb to start. However....the low snow, warmer then normal temps, CV's, and available help, prompted a decision to" get 'er done." We should finish on Tuesday. Wow, it will be nice going to the Birkie rested for a change. Last year skiing the 34 miles on that Saturday felt like the easiest day of the week, after trudging through the snow we had to tap in for the 5 previous days.

GramaCindy
02-16-2012, 04:15 AM
I really am hoping that it holds out up here until around St. Patty's day. Those April runs are too much fun to miss. I have all reds so timing is a big factor. I too am watching 3 long range forecasts. Accuweather, Intellicast and NOAA. It amazes me how they can be so different. Holding out for a few weeks way up here in Bayfield Co.

Rhino
02-16-2012, 05:27 AM
Holding off till hopefully 1st week of march to start tapping. Maples we are thinning as we log are not getting wet at all. (Lincoln county) This weekend is our wash and get everything ready time, sounds like cooler temps but sunshine for the weekend.

Brad W Wi
02-16-2012, 06:32 AM
Southeast Sawyer Co. here. I'm holding off yet, but I think I'll put out a few test taps next week late. This weather sure gives you the bug to get out and get going. I'm going out today to cut up some trees for 2 years from now for boiling. If any sap is running I'll see it on the stumps. Good luck everyone!!!

amherstmaple
02-16-2012, 09:09 AM
Put out 3 test taps last night @ 5pm and all were drippin here in Amherst. Forecast shows perfect temps for next 10 days. Going to put out 50 more tonight and see what happens. Hope to be cookin soon!

bison1973
02-16-2012, 09:56 AM
I know it's tempting... but it's still early. If you go to accuweather's 15 day forecast by next weekend they have high temps well below freezing thru the end of the month. It is a little way off but that trend is probably accurate. I holding off for a bit yet.

SugarMama
02-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Well we pulled over 100 gallons of sap off of what we tapped yesterday, buckets were overflowing this morning. Looking forward to a bit of a cool down so we can catch up a bit. Happy Tapping

mrgrumpr
02-16-2012, 11:07 AM
anyone in maine taped yet, its a weird winter minimal snow. high 30's during the day and teens at night ?

Balsam Hills
02-16-2012, 12:01 PM
I have red maples on a south facing slope in west-central WI. There is no snow on the ground and minimal frost. I think I will commence tapping this weekend as the reds always bud out by early April and likely earlier than that this year.

jmayerl
02-16-2012, 04:41 PM
WBAY channel 2 was at Blasers Acres in Suamico on the 4 oclock news, they tapped in today and some of the buckets looked very full.

Pete S
02-16-2012, 07:22 PM
Too warm today and yesterday to not think about tappin'. Me and Ma agreed that this weekend them maples is gonna get it,.............. regardless!

logboy
02-16-2012, 07:39 PM
I went up and checked the 2 test buckets I have. Still not flowing here around Menomonie. Roths and Andersons said they start around the end of the month. That seems to be holding true despite the warm weather.

Darkhollow Sugar Bush
02-16-2012, 07:40 PM
It was really running today in sw wisconsin.

NJG
02-16-2012, 08:46 PM
Everybody is getting me nervous as I'm not anywhere near ready to tap. Very curious to see when you tap in Rhino. We are south of Catawba and it seems in the past when you guys say you are running, ours are too.

mike z
02-16-2012, 09:56 PM
Pretty much ready to go hear in Ladysmith, but just seems way too early. Think I'll hold for a couple weeks? This warm winter could just turn upside down on us yet. Hate to be tapped and have to wait three weeks for the good runs. I'm holding as long as I can. I always tap too early.

driske
02-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Fate favors the prepared.

Rhino
02-17-2012, 05:59 AM
NJG, We like to hold off until the 1st week in March if possable but if this weather continues we will start earlier. Takes us 6-7 days to finish so i have to take that into consideration. The majority of our 2 woods are on the colder side so i throw that into the thinking also. D.Riske, As you have been tapping, what has you and your crew been seeing as far as sap running down the bark as you are tapping in Athens? Would you say that if you had everything done and the vac running you would be makeing mid-Feb. syrup?

jtiefert
02-17-2012, 07:16 AM
I'm with those that still think it's too early. Luckily for me, I can have my 50 ± taps in pretty quickly.

I tap all soft maple, and they've started to bud a bit with some of the warm spells. Does anyone have a good picture or explanation of what to look for when it comes to trees budding and pulling taps? I've read in a few places that you might get 'buddy' flavored syrup etc...

Here's to hoping that 2012 will be good season!

driske
02-17-2012, 07:31 AM
Rhino,
We were in the south 40 yesterday. A warmer patch of our woods. There was some sap flow from those taps put into wood that the Sun was hitting. East,West, and North holes remained dry. Our hi was like 35-36F.
Best guesstimate on the production question. If we would be all set up, both sides of the road vacuum tight to 22", maybe we could have made a 30 gallon drum off 12,000 taps. I'm not wringing my hands or losing sleep by any means. We are using all new adaptors this spring, so I feel we aren't short cutting production by going in too early.
I am looking forward to not being knock down tired at the Birkie next Saturday. Because we should be done tapping by Tuesday and I can let my "dogs" rest a few days before tackling that 34 mile glacial rollercoaster up at Hayward.

Rhino
02-17-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the update Doug, Good luck to you at the Birkie. I give you alot of credit for being able to do it.....Hope this syrup business is the secret fountain of youth.

wegnerwelding
02-18-2012, 12:02 AM
Put in a few taps today and they were flowing as soon as we tapped. By the time we left we had sap in the bottom of the bags. Hopefully we will be boiling some tomorrow!!

gbwez
02-18-2012, 02:04 AM
Tapped this morning in Oshkosh and had a decent run

Pete S
02-18-2012, 08:51 AM
Looked at our diary, looked at the revised weather forcast for the week, it will drive me out of my mind for the few 40* days, but alas, we are going to wait.

Now I need to go do something to take my mind off of it.

WI Sugarpop
02-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Hey Pete S,
Way to go, wait for the good runs that will be coming. We were planning on waiting til March 3rd but that doesn't work, so will probably tap next Sat. Feb 25th. Still waiting to get firebrick for the arch but otherwise just about ready.

Rhino
02-20-2012, 06:01 AM
After looking at around 8 different weather sites and there extended forecast it looks like they all came to the conclusion that winter will return around this Thursday and beyond. (Northern Wis.) They all can't be wrong.:lol: Hopefully it will last right to around March 15th and then cut loose. Got alot done this weekend with washing equipment, getting evap. set up and r.o wired and plumbed. Back to logging, tapping not on my mind anymore.

Pete S
02-20-2012, 06:22 AM
Decided to wait to tap. Was cutting firewood yesterday, in just a sweat shirt, sweating, while a maple was dripping way above from a hole/crack/fisure.

I had to tell myself, "It's OK. there'll be more sap later this week."

I do NOT like waiting.

amherstmaple
02-20-2012, 09:02 AM
I decided to wait to tap as well. 2 of the 3 test taps I have out run about 1/4 to 1/2gal per day. The other one has hardly ran at all. Hard to wait when its this nice but the good days are still ahead! Did get the sap shack ready to go this weekend.

WI Sugarpop
02-24-2012, 08:09 AM
So, how long is everyone in WI waiting to tap? Is anyone making syrup yet?

jgavic
02-24-2012, 08:16 AM
I am over on the west side of the state in Pierce County, and the extended forecast doesn't get me excited for tapping yet...The past two years we have tapped on the 11th. By the looks of the forecast (as of right now) we could be tapping second weekend in March again.

SugarMama
02-24-2012, 09:33 AM
We are in way southern WI almost on IL Border. We tapped Last week Wed. and so far we have gotten over 700 Gallons of sap, been boiling for three days hope to batch out at least 10 gallons of Syrup. Sugar content seems low, as we tap a lot of silvers. Suppose to get cold next week so may not see much flow.

dschultz
02-24-2012, 11:51 AM
I have not tapped yet, but I am going to start on Monday.

ehafkey
02-24-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm just south of green bay and I tapped 45 of my 200 taps. The flow has been steadily slow, will collect this weekend and hopefully boil.

Jeff E
02-24-2012, 03:23 PM
The forcast looks like we could get a few sap days in the next 10. Not a good reason to tap.
I will be starting next week though, as it takes me about a week or 2 to tap and get the vacuum tight.

It may be interesting, with the return of winter to Wisc when we want to get into the woods. As this weather pushes the real runs off to a later date, it makes me want to be ready. We may have a short season this year, so when the time is right, we need to be ready.

bison1973
02-24-2012, 03:58 PM
We haven't tapped yet... And glad we didn't. We've never tapped in FEB. and don't see any reason to do it this year.

Rhino
02-24-2012, 06:52 PM
Just watching and waiting looking for the first 40+ temps to be forecasted and then start 6-7 days before that time. As of now nothing is on the horizon on any forecast i looked at. Except plenty of snow chances, which in a way i don't mind except for the harder tapping conditions. The hardest thing to swallow looks like the gas/diesel prices we will see at prime time syrup season. Have to get thrifty and stay over alot more at the hunting shack/sugar shack then driveing home. (34 miles).

WI Sugarpop
02-27-2012, 06:01 AM
We put in 54 taps Sat. morning and will check them today. There was no frost in the ground. Maybe should have tapped earlier. Will put 125 more in this week. Need to get the pans and sap tank hooked up today. May be boiling this weekend.
Pete, did you tap yet?

C.Wilcox
02-27-2012, 08:13 AM
I put out all my south facing taps last week. Got about 0.5 to 1.0 gallons per tap per day until Saturday and then everything shut down. Too much wind... Hoping things settle down a bit today so the sap can start running again.

WI Sugarpop
02-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Just checked the taps and it looks like we got a gal. per tap yesterday afternoon. Should have had all are taps in on Sat. I guess you never know for sure.

LedgeRock
02-27-2012, 06:00 PM
Just collected (SE Brown County). We got about 50 gallons since Thursday. Glad we were in. Collected about 100 gallons total this year. Glad we were in the past two weeks...it was a nice little early run. Now a slow down until next week from the looks of things.

jmayerl
02-27-2012, 11:12 PM
We got 50 tests in one bush and all put out about a gallon while we were there. checked the tests in our main bush that went in yesterday morning and all bags were full. Helped a buddy put in 600 before dark, then came home and put 600 more bags together. 12 hour shift in the ER tomorrow then gonna put all 700 in on Weds in the snow. I woulda tapped 2 weeks ago but didnt have the new evaporator yet. Also got 90 more taps in a yard just up the road that I looked at on sunday. The shiny new girl is in and we should have a few hundred gallons to boil on friday.

Rhino
02-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Just finished watching the local extended forecast and looks like next Tuesday the warmup comes for our part of the state. Called my brothers and looks like Friday I will start tapping and this weekend all 3 of us will, so alot of holes will be drilled. By Monday hope all the pipeline will be tapped that i can get it tight by Wednesday, and then the following weekend (10th and 11th) 1600 bags will go in. Lots of snow forecasted for our region, seems we r in the bullseye. Up to 10 inches maybe more. With the 12 we have in the woods, looks like we will have plenty.

logboy
02-29-2012, 09:51 PM
It looks like I'll be tapping Thursday or Friday here in Menomonie. Friday will be warm, as will Monday and Tuesday. Possibly 48 degrees on Tuesday. I have to fix a main line tomorrow. A large limb came down in the storm and snapped the tension cable joint. Other than that 2500 feet of branch lines survived the storm.

WI Sugarpop
03-01-2012, 07:44 AM
We will be collecting today for the 2nd time this week. We still have 60 more taps to put out. Hopefully we will do our first boil tonight with our new evaporator. Good luck to everyone in WI. The season has finally arrived!!!!!!!!!!!!

maplematt
03-01-2012, 01:13 PM
We will be tapping this weekend...even though now it looks like snow...just don't want to miss out on anything!! Looks like 50's one day next week.

logboy
03-01-2012, 09:51 PM
Saps running! I put out 40 sap sacks around 4 tonight. They have about a half gallon in them already.

WI Sugarpop
03-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Got 200 gal. today from 111 taps. We boiled for a couple hours tonight to test the new evaporator. We will put about 60 or 70 more taps out on Sat.

WildRiver
03-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Will start tapping today, it'll be slow with about a foot of new heavy snow. Probably end up with about 200 taps.

jmayerl
03-02-2012, 11:29 AM
We got about 100 more out so far today 200 more to got. Slow going since we are also collecting lots of sap from the 450 we put out weds.

sbingham
03-02-2012, 12:07 PM
I tapped late yesterday and finished up this morning, 80 taps total this year.
The deep snow from Tuesday night really makes for tough going in the woods.

mike z
03-02-2012, 06:37 PM
sbingham - can you post over the weekend and let us know how they are running - thanks.

Hutch's Sugarbush
03-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Hand tapped 10 trees late this afternoon - 7 were wet. It was 40 degrees and cloudy here in the western UP. Guess we're going to tap 80+ this weekend.

sbingham
03-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Mike - Will do, today it was hit and miss.
Some bags had an inch or so in them, others nothing.
The forecast looks decent, hopefully it gets cold enough at night.

Rhino
03-04-2012, 06:45 AM
Brothers and i made the decision to hold off tapping and see what happens after this week, Some forecast were hinting on a cool down and i see for us starting friday it is going to and even saturday. We got close to 20 inches of snow the last storm and had 10 on the ground so we got plenty for the season. Talked to 4 other producers and they also are going to hold off. One did put a few test taps in yesterday and they got wet but stopped soon after and he is 100 miles south of us with only 8 inches of snow on the ground. As one buddy of mine said in our area, our trees don't run good until the the snow is pulled away from the base of the trees..... Tuesday and Wednesday i will spend on the dozer plowing trails. Looks like 3 days of warm weather with breezy south winds so that should help compact the snow a bit and stiffen it up later for snowshoe tapping.

grahamcreek62
03-04-2012, 01:46 PM
We are ready to go as far as equipment, but waiting for the right weather. We are just south of Eau Claire towards Eleva. Checked trees last weekend and the hole is still dry. We just make enough for our family and our little grandchildren just love the syrup. Getting real anxious. Hope it will be a good year.

logboy
03-05-2012, 07:05 PM
I tapped last Thursday and Friday and had sap running out of the holes faster than I could tap them. Too cold the last couple days, tomorrow will hopefully be a flood.

Skarda Maple Farms
03-05-2012, 09:49 PM
I tapped yesterday and it seems good. I have close to 300 taps and hopefully will do another 200 later in the week. Half of the taps had a pretty stedy drip. I plan to boil on friday.

driske
03-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Hey Rhino,
Talked to Bob at Spirit Valley tonight. Your area got inundated alright.
Our paltry 10" had the consistency of wet cement. Let's just say, mobility has been an issue since last Weds.
Locally, trees still have a thick layer of snowy ice firmly attached to the NE face. Hopefully, the forecast 40's will give us the chance to check the tubing for some air leaks over the next 2 days or so. There's plenty of snapped off limbs and tubing stretched down.
In the end, I think we will look back and see that this storm was the right thing to put the upcoming season into a proper time frame. For the moment, the daunting task of doing anything other than moving snow is frustrating.
All the best with your prep work. DR

Rhino
03-06-2012, 06:12 AM
Doug, I am thinking thats how it's going to end up also, sure the trees might weep a bit but until they get out of this snow/ice covered tomb, we won't get all bent out of shape that we are waiting. Talked to Bob this past weekend and at that time he was planning to start tapping this weekend. Our snow consistency is easy to plow now but i think the next 2 days of plowing will be a bugger once it starts melting and sticks to everything. I hate to say it but a good rain would sure help to settle and knock this deep snow down. (not good on the flooding side of things though). Keep us posted on how those sweet Athens trees are doing. Thanks.

Huckster
03-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Northern Dunn Co. Put in 50 taps today and all were running pretty steady. 55F right now in the shade. I had enough sap to cover the bottom of the buckets within 2 hours on the first trees we tapped. Should be good weather for the next several days.