PDA

View Full Version : cleaning a tube evaporator

Ragged View
02-14-2012, 05:10 PM
Planning on getting a 2x8-ish rig for next year. Looking at pictures of the tube-type sap pans I am wondering how it is to clean around and below the tubes inside the pan. Looks like it would be difficult to brush all surfaces.
Thanks.
Mark

spencer11
02-14-2012, 05:12 PM
i plan on using one of those next year to. i would build it, and i was wondering that to. someone help

spencer

English River Maple
02-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Looking at pictures of the tube-type sap pans I am wondering how it is to clean around and below the tubes inside the pan. Looks like it would be difficult to brush all surfaces.
Thanks.
Mark

We now own a drop tube evaporator for 2012 season. We haven't had to clean yet since we haven't boiled sap, but we will find out soon enough. What I do know is that there are brushes that are formable and bendable at the end so you are able to better conform to the shape of the pipes to clean the bottoms. The sap pan should not become too awfully dirty with buildup...most of the buildup will be in the syrup pan, and worsen as you get closer to the draw-off which is the reason why we have the options of design like reverse flow and cross flow ( with cross flow, typically you have a 3rd pan to swap out with your drawoff pan as you probably already know) type syrup pans . Good luck.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
02-14-2012, 06:24 PM
English River,
Please keep us posted on your ups and downs with your evaporator. I'm looking into this design as well. I'm using a 2'x3' flat sectioned pan right now, but looking to go bigger!

Good luck and best wishes!

Shawn

wiam
02-14-2012, 09:19 PM
If you are talking like a W F Mason drop tube. I do not think they will ever be "new clean". I fill mine as full as possible with 150* water from my water heater and pan acid. Then I let this set for a few days. I pressure wash it and it takes most of the build up off. I think if you are not boiling concentrate there will not be as much cooked on as I have.

Ragged View
02-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks for the feedback. There is always something to scratch your head about in this business.
Mark