PDA

View Full Version : "V-Bottom" pan

DSKUP
02-14-2012, 04:39 PM
I'm looking at buying a 2x4 or 2x6 pan that is advertised as a "v-bottom." Not sure yet exactly how deep the "troughs" are, but I'm just wondering what kind of efficiency gain this arrangement provides vs. a rectangular flue bottom. Secondly, are these types of pans difficult to drain?

Thanks
Dan in Minnesota

Jeff E
02-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I had a Leader 2x8 Vermont style, which had 3 pans, one being a v bottom over the fire box. (finished in the middle pan)
The v's were probably 2" deep, maybe 10 of them. I would suspect it boiled twice as hard as a flat pan.
To drain it required disconnecting it from the middle pan and romoving it, dumping it out. Not real convenient for an outside set up that needed guarding from freezing.
It was also english tin, not stainless.

Overall, it worked well, but was high maintenance.

DSKUP
02-15-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

fresh spout
02-15-2012, 10:28 PM
dont buy a flue pan unless it has a drain on it, you will thank me later after you finish cussing it out every time you have to lift it to empty. Not a real big deal when temps are up, but when you have a hard freeze come in, you are going to want to empty those flues so they don't expand, and lifting that pan up and resetting each time not only is a pain in the butt, but you also take a chance on putting a dent in it going in and out of the arch over and over again.

SapZilla
02-15-2012, 11:00 PM
Just avoid solder. Ask me how I know

jmayerl
02-16-2012, 10:12 AM
I would also call Jim at Smokey Lake if you are thinking about a V flue. His stuff is high qualitly, but he also ran a V flue for a couple of years and might have some insight for you. I would think that a V flue would not have to be drained for freezing since there are not the narrow channels like on a drop or raised, but again those are questions for someone that had one(his was also outside)