PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade from Concrete?

DSKUP
02-14-2012, 04:35 PM
Hi all,

I've been using a 2x3 solid concrete block arch for the past eight years for a 50 tap backyard operation (see attached). It's worked well, but like lots of folks here I'm now looking to increase the production (output vs. time in front of the arch). Dang, is this stuff ever popular with friends and family! I'm thinking I'll get to about the 100 tap range.

My existing set up has an 8 foot stack and is fire brick lined, and actually gets going pretty good. But it takes a couple of hours for the whole thing to get up to temp, mainly because of the cold, wet concrete and the frozen ground below.

My question is, what kind of evaporation rate can I see if I go to a more conventional set up ("hobby" evaporator) roughly the same size. I know, there are LOTS of variables. But I'm just looking for a generalized answer. Has anyone done this, and said, "wow, this works a lot better!" Are there other advantages?

I guess I'm looking for justification to drop $1500 to $2000, when the past 8 years have cost me next to nothin'.

Thanks,

Dan in Minnesota