PDA

View Full Version : branch line length

Lyle
02-14-2012, 03:36 PM
What is the max. distance recomended for a 5/16 branch line assuming good slope. I'm not sure if I should run 2-1/2 inch mains or maybe a single 3/4 with longer laterals.

northwoods_forestry
02-14-2012, 04:35 PM
The answer depends on whether you are going gravity or vacuume. In either case 3/4" is the better choice if you want to use saddles to bring your laterals in the main. 1/2" is good if your just moving sap and don't have laterals coming in.

Jeff E
02-14-2012, 04:55 PM
With Vacuum, it recommended to stay around 100 ft for your lateral, or branch lines. 5-8 taps per line.
Also with vacuum, you should have no more than 300 taps per mainline, as on big sap days you will potentially fill up the line enough that you will not have good vacuum transfer.
One lesson I have learned, dont skimp on line size. Build it right the first time, nice and tight, no sags, plenty of capacity.

Lyle
02-14-2012, 05:29 PM
I don't have any immediate plans for vacuum, appx. 200 taps on gravity, but " build it right the first time " definately makes sense. If you can run up to 100 ft. on vac., is it safe to assume that is good also for gravity? I would like to take advantage of natural vac. if possible. I would like to run a single main down the center of my bush, which is 380 feet wide, bringing in taps some of which would be 150 feet out or so. Also one more question . My lines will be draining to a collection point on the bottom of my lot, and my shack is at the top about 1400 feet away. Is there a pump that will suck that back up that doesn't need priming? Sometimes acceess to the lower end is impossible for me when the snow is heavy.

maple flats
02-14-2012, 06:00 PM
On gravity with good slope you can run 2 or even 300'. You can not have any taps on the last 30 or better yet 40' of drop for natural vacuum to work at it's best. Some have even run as many as 50 and 60 taps on a single lateral when steep drops are present. As far as a pump sucking, don't count on it. The most you can lift is about 22 or 23'. You could however rig a deep well foot valve and pump a small amount down from the top and the deep well device would pump a larger amount up. Pumps can push to good heights (the right pump that is,) but are very limited on lift. Using the foot valve for a deep well set up the pumping down turns a slave pump to push even more up. That being said you still would be best off pumping from the bottom. You should check the lines daily for leaks, when at the bottom, run the pump. After pumping drain sap in line into collection tank and drain the pump housing so freezing can't burst the housing.

Lyle
02-14-2012, 07:40 PM
200 feet will do fine for me. I have a decent slope but not steep. I have been doing some reading on the subject and have gotten some conflicting numbers for the max on a lateral. I was thinking of 20-25. Is that enough to create a vacuum on a decent run? As for the pump, thats pretty much what I was afraid of. I guess if there is to much snow to get to my collection point, then there will be too much to get to my buckets anyway. Thanks all for your info and patience. It is greatly appreciated and helpfull!