PDA

View Full Version : To tap or not to tap, that is the question

SUGARSMITH
03-15-2006, 07:29 AM
I still have an area that I have not tapped, maybe 50 -75 taps. I am debating wheter or not to bother at this point, I wont be able to tap till sat am.

What is the consensus of whether the production at this point woul;d be worth drilling in the tree for the amount of sap possible. The area is shaded and usually produces a bit longer in the year than the reast of my trees. Or am I better off letting them rest till next year.

SUGARSMITH
03-15-2006, 07:30 AM
let me add that I am in northwest connecticut

Fred Henderson
03-15-2006, 07:51 AM
It kind of depends if you are in this for fun or income. Me now I am in it for the fun and I am retired, so I got lots of time. I would rest them until next year and until next year I would do some thinning.

brookledge
03-15-2006, 06:27 PM
I'd tap them if you got time. Even if you only get a few runs its more than you would have with out them. With the cooler temps this week you are bound to get some good runs still.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-15-2006, 08:15 PM
Those trees will run like mad and if you hit it right, you may be able to make well above a pint per gallon or even above a quart. :D

lew
03-16-2006, 06:28 AM
tap them. Fresh taps this far into season usually means you'll get a lot of sapper tap compared to your "older" taps.

Russell Lampron
03-16-2006, 11:25 AM
It's starting to look like this is going to be a marginal year again. I would tap them if they were mine.

Russ