PDA

View Full Version : Adding Dividers to a regular flat pan questions

TerryEspo
02-14-2012, 10:35 AM
Hello Everybody

All the reading in this forum has me thinking about adding dividers to my regular flat pan.

First, is there anything wrong with adding dividers?

My pan is 18 inches wide and 56 inches long with 6 inch sides.

If I can add dividers do I equally space them to make the 3 compartments the same size? I do have a brass drain on the one end.

The funny thing is why I would even add dividers. I am thinking I could draw off syrup from the last compartment,,,Am I right?

I could also not be doing just batches and leave sap in the pan until the next day....right or wrong?

What size holes should I have in the divider to allow the sap to flow into next compartment?

Any input is really appreciated.

Hopefully the gang here can give me some advice to help me along my way with this.

Thanks to Everyone.

Terry

B.D.L
02-14-2012, 04:59 PM
you are right on all the questions, 3'' square holes would be good.
if you have never soldered stainless, or welded it, find a shop to do it, and save you'r self a headache.

TerryEspo
02-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks BDL for the reply.

For sure I would have a shop to the work. To complicate the issue I have a further question.

Could the divider be removable? An insert that just sits there.... friction-fit ?

In other posts I think I saw that the dividers do not have to be water tight, but maybe the divider needs a bit more tacks than I am thinking with totally removable.

So, I ask,,,,Could a friction-fit divider work?

If it could work, I could just give the dimensions to the shop and pick it up once ready.

Crazy thinking ??

Thanks.

Terry

Brent
02-14-2012, 08:18 PM
You could try cold friction fitting but when the pan gets hot I think you'll find the good fit on the bottom isn't so good. Almost all pans deform somewhat when you boil. It would help, but it would be best with a continuous weld. Lots of tacks as second best.

And yes, with a divided pan you can leave the syrup in and get a better start on draws the next day. I have small pieces of stainless that I drop over the ports in the dividers so the gradient stays in each channel over-night.

The continuous weld will clean up better ( easier )

Most pans have equal sized channels.

slb
02-14-2012, 08:26 PM
Terry, I boiled outside on a block arch for 25 years with a flat batch pan, thought it was the nuts, last year my last boy at home, and I built a sugerhouse and bought a used evaporator under an old barn that had a flat pan with it. It was divided in half and on one half that was divided in half, result 3 sections. I still can't believe the way you dump sap in the back , 2 x 3 section, then through a round hole it goes into section 2 1 x 3 then through next hole into section 3, also 1 x 3, after more beer and even more wood ... bamm out comes syrup...thats why this site is so popular....anyway, dividers need to be permanet and water tight expect for holes to next section slb

TerryEspo
02-14-2012, 08:49 PM
So SLB,,,having did the flat for years and then last year useing the divided pan,,,,What do you enjoy more ?

Love the story too,,,Thanks !!

Terry

sugar ED
02-14-2012, 10:58 PM
So SLB,,,having did the flat for years and then last year useing the divided pan,,,,What do you enjoy more ?

Love the story too,,,Thanks !!

Terry
Hi Terry Espo ,I think if you read between the lines , (in SLB 's Post) ,lol, "(after more beer and even more wood ... bamm out comes syrup..)"!!!
The point -you get the time to drink a beer or more,with the continuous flow/divided pan/s !. Got sap, just add wood and draw off the syrup ! Good luck all ! Ed

slb
02-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Hi Terry, What i enjoy most is boiling inside! Thought we'ed be boiling tonite but still no sap running here. We tapped 100 buckets last friday and sat. but nothing yet. Boys collected this afternoon, got about 5 gals. Anyway, no snow to fight thru, Installed elevated sap tank today and hooked up home made preheater....Time to go back trucking and burn that cheap diesel till the sap starts to run..........slb:mrgreen:

kinalfarm
02-21-2012, 08:18 PM
Here is a little piece of advice for adding dividers. You want to drawnthe syrup off from the hottest part of your pan. if that happens to be the middle than put two dividers in 18" long then put as many going the long way so that the syrup draw off valve is about half way down the pan. But that's just an example. Im sure you know where it boils the hardest. But keep that in mind because I put mine towards the front of the pan and inregret it. Good luck. And as far as being water tight they don't need to be but it would be nice if your planning on plugging them off between boil so that you don't lose your gradient. Hope this helps.