PDA

View Full Version : car radiator as a pre-heater?

jluckay
02-14-2012, 09:33 AM
i visited a old un-operating sugarhouse last night. the guy that ran it years ago took me thru it. i noticed a old copper car radiator sitting on a shelf & asked him what he had used it for? he told me he placed it over his flu-pan as a preheater., said it heated the sap close to boiling. after leaving i got to thinking about this. it was probly not the best thing as far as lead in other contaminating things go. but i was wondring if anyone has tryed a new style radiator made from plastic? and if has held up to the heat???

Dill
02-14-2012, 09:37 AM
I get 180 degrees with copper piping. Thats enough for me.

Brokermike
02-14-2012, 10:13 AM
if he's selling it BUY IT!. It makes a great oil cooler for a dairy pump when building a vac system

Sugarmaker
02-14-2012, 06:23 PM
I would think that you would not want to run sap through this! my 2 cents.
Regards,
Chris

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-14-2012, 07:39 PM
hopefully he kept all the syrup for his family and didnt sell anything, did his kids have all their fingers and toes?

Lyle
02-14-2012, 07:44 PM
They probably had all their fingers and toes, they just can't count them!

Brent
02-14-2012, 08:11 PM
food grade radiators ??????

Greenwich Maple Man
02-14-2012, 09:06 PM
THis is truely scarry !

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-15-2012, 05:12 AM
THis is truely scarry !
its a hell of an idea to bad its not food grade

Maxfields maple
02-15-2012, 05:56 AM
Didnt people die amd have all sorts of wierd stuff happen to them when they used these for distilling moonshine

mapleguy
02-15-2012, 06:22 AM
I wouldn't consider using a brand new in the box radiator and one might wonder why the need for regulation is on the horizon just another way for BIG BROTHER to controll

jluckay
02-15-2012, 06:59 AM
that was my assompion as well, hell of a good idea. but no way to safley do it! the only way it would be fesable is with a new plastic radiator that had been manufatured from food grade material & food grade adhesive! interesting thought ??

spud
02-15-2012, 07:04 AM
i visited a old un-operating sugarhouse last night. the guy that ran it years ago took me thru it. i noticed a old copper car radiator sitting on a shelf & asked him what he had used it for? he told me he placed it over his flu-pan as a preheater., said it heated the sap close to boiling. after leaving i got to thinking about this. it was probly not the best thing as far as lead in other contaminating things go. but i was wondring if anyone has tryed a new style radiator made from plastic? and if has held up to the heat???

Did the guy that showed you this set-up only have one eye in his forehead? Maybe his tail should have tipped you off. My wife is a real hot head sometimes and i was wondering if i should stick a pipe in one ear and exit out the other for a home made pre heater? :lol:

Spud

mapleguy
02-15-2012, 07:11 AM
gotta wonder what else go on out there

CBOYER
02-15-2012, 05:39 PM
this thread must be remove, imagine if a new maple customer google and find this....you will be at the next morning tv show, try to explain that maple syrup is good and natural...:evil:

sirsapsalot
02-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Heck leave the radiator in the truck take the fan belt off and you could evaporate as you drive. WOW gets more interesting by the day.