PDA

View Full Version : Tapped in Saratoga Co. , Carlton,NY

Mapleridge
02-14-2012, 08:11 AM
We put in 120 new 5/16" tree saver taps, Frdiday am, and are using new 4 gallon metal buckets. The sap ran some Friday and Sat. Was very cold for 2 days, but today it is warming back up. If it runs today, we will collect and sugar the pan tomorrow. And the fun begins.

adk1
02-14-2012, 04:42 PM
I tapped today. Not a drop was to be had.

stoweski
02-14-2012, 06:21 PM
80 taps in since Feb 5th. Probably collected around 200 gallons so far... but only a few drips today.

Are you located on 147 in Charlton? Your shack looks very familiar.

Mapleridge
02-15-2012, 05:18 AM
We are the red house behind the big grey barn on Jockey St, just south of 67. Sugarhouse is back in the trees and can't be seen from the road.

stoweski
02-15-2012, 05:27 AM
Know where you are but obviously I'm thinking of a different shack.
My wife spent a few years on Jockey... at the intersection of Jockey & 29.
They were/are friends with the Evans family down the road on 29.
Niel is going to tap a few trees with his grandson this year.

Mapleridge
02-23-2012, 07:02 AM
We have already packaged 4 gallons of grade a fancy light syrup, and collected 165 gallons of sap last evening, so fire up the pan this afternoon. The weather has been really up and down and looks to be unpredictable thru the weekend. One or two degrees makes a big difference, and sometimes the difference is trees on the ridge or down in the valley.

Mapleridge
03-13-2012, 05:16 AM
Well our season is over. Syrup got real dark very fast in the pan, too dark for our us. So we pulled the taps and will start bucket washing. We packaged 26 gallons of light and medium. Never had made that much light before, and never had that much really dark sugar sand in the filters before. If you look at our journal records, we are usually just starting the season this time in March. Funny year. And it is the end of another syrup season.....