PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Cherry Trees

ibby458
03-15-2006, 07:08 AM
I went out and checked buckets yesterday, and found the boys had tapped a cherry tree! It wasn't producing worth beans, So I pulled the spouts and put it on a maple further down the trail.

Now - I've tried to tap a hickory once, and a basswood, once, But a cherry tree? Either they were funning with me, or they were horsing around and not paying attention. Since I had 6 people helping (From 10 yrs old to 25), and everyone was having a good time, I suspect the latter.

Fred Henderson
03-15-2006, 07:13 AM
Many years ago when a farmer was making syrup for only his own use he would tap a butternut just to give it a little different flavor.

SteveD
03-15-2006, 10:44 AM
I was thinking about tapping a cedar that stands beside the sugar house just to see the reaction of folks....maybe I should have....

cheesegenie
03-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Well they say maple syrup was discovered by accident, the Native and
the arrow in the tree thing. Although birch syrup from Alaska is highly
sought after and expesive 100-1 sap ratio.Maybe you found something.
Imagine cherry syrup, no too late Vicks Cherry Cough Syrup.Really cold
last night, still below freezing at noon and windy. No sap today or all
week , by the weatherman anyway.

mapleman3
03-15-2006, 11:59 AM
when your in the woods tapping I'm sure an oak or something else gets tapped by accident... I swear this one Maple I tapped on a roadside wants to be an oak.. Not a drop yet this year... I sure think I remember it being a Maple :? :? someones laughing at me everytime they drive by I bet 8O

themapleking
03-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Iron Wood sap makes great sticky glue :?

GregMVT
03-15-2006, 07:18 PM
Years ago a friend of my fathers used to make syrup. When my dad went to visit him he'd hang a bucket on a telephone pole in the guys front yard 8O

Greg

junkyard
04-03-2006, 03:50 PM
There is a guy up the road that taps a maple behind his mail box. He very carefully hides the tubing so the sap dripps fron the spout in the mailbox post.
Junkyard