PDA

View Full Version : Light or Dark

philkasza
02-13-2012, 08:52 PM
We had a customer ask us about the light and dark syrup today and was wondering what causes it to change. I know latter in season it always got darker for us but why? Does it have to do with bacteria level, the buds on the tree, temps, or what? I have always thought the darker syrup has more of a maple taste too it as well is that true? thanks Sam

Bucket Head
02-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Yes. Any other questions? Lol. Your correct, all of those have an effect on the darker syrup. The warmer the tree, sap and air temperature, bacteria goes up and sugar decreases, which basically adds to boiling time which also increases the dark coloring. However, instead of grossing out the customer with the bacteria explanation (unless you can determine that it won't), just say the warmer it gets in the spring, the more the sap composition changes, which makes the darker syrup. And the dark does have a stronger flavor.

Steve

delta757and767pilot
02-14-2012, 05:58 PM
Great job building that evaporator bucket head!!!!! Thats amazinggggg!! What is your evaporation rate like?

Bucket Head
02-14-2012, 08:22 PM
Thank you! A lot of planning and work went into it. As long as I pay attention to it and not get distracted from firing it when visitors show up, it will evaporate around 42-43 gallons per hour. Of course I wish it did more, but it does about what the factory made rigs do per hour so I'm pleased with it.

Steve

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-15-2012, 05:15 AM
Yes. Any other questions? Lol. Your correct, all of those have an effect on the darker syrup. The warmer the tree, sap and air temperature, bacteria goes up and sugar decreases, which basically adds to boiling time which also increases the dark coloring. However, instead of grossing out the customer with the bacteria explanation (unless you can determine that it won't), just say the warmer it gets in the spring, the more the sap composition changes, which makes the darker syrup. And the dark does have a stronger flavor.

Steve

less sugar content longer boiling would be a good explanation for Flat Landers:lol: