PDA

View Full Version : Cloud in bottom of jar

Trapper IV
02-13-2012, 04:41 PM
I am very new to making syrup. I have made 2 small batches, about 1 quart each. the 1st batch turned out what I think is great for a first timer. My 2nd batch I cooked down to what I am calling near syrup & finished the next day. I put the finished product in a clean mason jar & refrigerated. The next day the is what appears to be a cloud in the bottom of the jar. The cloud has the wife & I a little worried that is not good. It taste ok to me but the wife thinks it tastes a little "woody". I know the experts on the wonderful forum can tell me what the cloud is & if I have done something wrong. Please help.

KV Sappers
02-13-2012, 05:05 PM
The cloud your seeing at the bottom of the jar is sediment. I assume you did not run the finished product through any filtering cloth? If it tastes ok your fine. You did nothing wrong. You might want to try pouring your syrup through a filter next time. This will remove any sediment/sugar sand in the syrup.

whalems
02-13-2012, 05:11 PM
It is just sediment or sugar sand. Let it sit for a week and decant the clear off the top. don't aggitate or stir it just pour the clear syrup off the top and the sediment will stay in the bottom. Good luck, Mike

RileySugarbush
02-13-2012, 05:12 PM
I remember being in your shoes with my first batch. The ominous looking cloud hovering in the bottom of the bottle. It looks like some sort of mold, but I pulled out a sample and looked at it under a microscope. It's crystals of niter or sugar sand. Not dangerous Let it settle and decant off the clear syrup on top.

A careful finishing and filtering is needed to avoid getting it.