PDA

View Full Version : Diaphram Pump?

highway
02-13-2012, 02:08 PM
I am considering adding vacume to my sugar bush and have a question about the diaphram pumps people are using. Are they as good as the vane pumps and do they pull vacume like the typical vane pump?

I have no experiance with vacume and would like to make the right purchase the first time. My understanding is that there is no releaser with the diaphram style pump. Is that true? It sure would make the system easier with out the mechanical releaser.

Ed

ejmaple
02-13-2012, 03:24 PM
do a search on here for (sap sucker) lots of old threads

wiam
02-13-2012, 08:11 PM
do a search on here for (sap sucker) lots of old threads

Not to get technical but to help with a search. The diaphragm pump brand name is "Sap Puller" A long time ago there was a "sap sucker" These are a peristaltic or roller pump. These do not need a releaser either. I have a friend with a sap sucker getting 16" I have heard of the sap pullers getting low 20s.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-14-2012, 07:55 PM
www.thebosworthcompany.com
or some thing very close to that half the cost of the sap puller even some are FDA approved

http://www.thebosworthco.com/

Mark-NH
02-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Quick response is diaphram pump will not produce as high nor as much volume in vacuum. The upside is Far fewer moving parts and much cheaper to set up. It is a great way to get introduced to vacuum but don't be surprised to out grow it in a couple years.

Dale Mahalko
02-15-2012, 07:42 AM
http://www.thebosworthco.com/

Hard to do a direct comparison to other vacuum pump types since those are listed as "gallons per minute" rather than "cubic feet per minute".

More air volume is technically possible off of one motor, but it would require multiple pump chambers arranged around a central crankshaft. Double acting diaphragms above/below, quad-acting diaphragms arranged in a cross pattern, etc.

The motorized pumps don't run as fast as vane or full piston/ring pumps with a max of about 120 cycles per minute, and as a pressure pump they don't go above about 15 psi.

The reason is that the diaphragm is mostly likely a flexible plastic or rubber disc with a convoluted edge to provide flexibility. Flexing it up/down heats it which will make it fail if it flexes too fast. Or, too much pressure and the diaphragm fails and "pops" like a balloon.

highway
02-15-2012, 08:56 AM
Thank you for the replies. I have a small 80 tap lot behind the house and thought about putting it on vacume. It is hard to get to without using the horse or quad. I was thinking I could use the vacume to draw it to a collection tank and minimize my travel in the bush. I have one road through the center that would work for access to collect it. But 80 taps is a small number for a tubing lot.

Ed

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-26-2012, 05:37 PM
the first section we finished had 76 taps, it produced 75 gal of sap in a 8 hr time period, with a max vac level of 20.5". As we move up the sugar bush we wil be adding more and upto approx 300 taps. The pump we are being shipped this week for a trial is said to be able to do a 6' ladder lift which we will try and it is supposed to have upto approx 26" of vac.