PDA

View Full Version : hot stack!!

bowtie
02-13-2012, 02:03 PM
so saturday i finally was able to fire up my masons 2x4 hobby evap. once i had the fire started a bit i plugged in my blower in the blower that came with it. within 2-3 minutes my stack was glowing cherry red, great for evaporating bad for the garage. i remedied this by buying a dimmer switch and hooking it up to the blower and then cutting the end off from a cord and wiring them together. the blower can not be run on any higher than 5/8-3/4 speed once the fire is going or bad things are going to happen. iwas able to get 14-16 gph from it with very dry hardwood.
what i can not figure out is when i am shutting it down from boiling 50-60 gallons, how do i "chase" the partially finished syrup from the pan without diluting it with a ton of water or without scorching my pan. i have a mason finisher that i finish on but would rahter not have to boil more water out the syruo than i have to,or is this just what small guys have to do?

Pibster
02-13-2012, 02:48 PM
I would chase with sap. At least then you would have a good start on the next boil.

Peepers
02-13-2012, 08:55 PM
What he said :) We always keep a bucket of emergency sap at the ready and after scooping out the batch we chase with sap like Pibster said. When the rig is all cooled off put some kind of food safe cover over the pan so nothing gets in your sap before you boil next time. Baking sheets if the rig is still warm or Sterilite container lids if the rig's cooled off are what I use.

Do you have a vent or cupola in the garage for the steam to get out?