PDA

View Full Version : OK, who hasn't tappped yet?

danno
02-13-2012, 11:45 AM
I'm starting to feel I'm in the vast minority here. I've been busy adding new lines/taps over the past few weeks, but have not tapped yet. Some days (this past weekend) I'm happy with my decision, and others I second guess myself. Still trying to decide whether to pull the trigger and begin tomorrow.

Anybody else still holding out and planning to hold out at least through the end of this week?

Really looking forward to adjusting that tap count in my profile. I'll wait until after I tapped once I determine how many CV's I use:)

whalems
02-13-2012, 11:49 AM
I am waiting untill towards the end of the month. I am in northern Michigan and the forecast is not to favorable for the next ten days. I put out a few buckets to see what was going on and they have barely run in a week. So I am happy with my decission to wait.

MTF
02-13-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm in western Monroe County, NY and have still not tapped my 110 taps on gravity tubing. It's getting closer to when I usually tap (third week or so in Febuary) and I've stopped believing in the long term forecasts. Plus last year I got an itchy trigger finger and tapped earlier than usual and right after I did so, there was a two week cold spell. Of course, I could guess wrong two years in a row!

fishman
02-13-2012, 12:11 PM
I'm in the UP of Michigan and I'm waiting probably till March 10th or so. Whalems-werre you at the RMG open house on Saturday. I saw somebody with a maple coat from Honor.

wnybassman
02-13-2012, 01:41 PM
I have not tapped in NE Wyoming County. Eyeballin' tomorrow if I get home from work early enough, and this blasted wind lays down. We'll see............

whalems
02-13-2012, 03:00 PM
I'm in the UP of Michigan and I'm waiting probably till March 10th or so. Whalems-werre you at the RMG open house on Saturday. I saw somebody with a maple coat from Honor.
no that wasn't me.

lew
02-13-2012, 03:46 PM
we're starting tomorrow. Probably would have tapped earlier but, the new RO installation just got finished today, the new larger permeate tank is arriving tomorrow, the new sap truck is at the shop getting inspected today, it still needs the pump plumbed to the truck, and the new sap tank needs to have the releaser rack built and set on tank and the releaser plumbed. Other than that we're ready to go.

seclark
02-13-2012, 03:55 PM
I have been holding off but today I got the bug and tapped just 2 trees and one had a little drip but the other had none.So I guess I will wait a little longer unless I can't stand it any longer and it warms up a little,then it's full steam ahead!:lol:

Mountain Winds Farm
02-13-2012, 05:34 PM
550 done and 900 or so yet to go. This week looks like go time at least until the weekend

Thompson's Tree Farm
02-13-2012, 06:14 PM
Danno,
I haven't even thought about it here in NNY. Some around me are tapped but I think (and hope) it is still a bit early. I still have new lines to finish, new tanks and releasers to install, a new RO room to wire and plumb for 3 RO's and it had better wait!

sjdoyon
02-13-2012, 06:18 PM
Scheduled to start next Monday the 20th. I'm located on the Canadian border, Northeast corner of Vermont. We normally don't get sap runs on the Southern slopes until early March. I'm on a Easterly slope so we start a week or two later. We had -8 last week so no rush in this area.

treehugger
02-13-2012, 07:07 PM
I have been holding off. I trust the old timers. Besides, there have only been a few decent days anyway. Early next week looks ok so far.

garytapsmaples
02-13-2012, 07:21 PM
I'm in east central Ohio and would have tapped last week but have been working on building my arch for my new 2.5'X 8' flat pan. Been boiling on iron kettles for years pretty excited about my new setup I hope it works. Tapping tomorrow and test boil wednesday. I'm concerned about the size of my pan I fear I should have had two smaller pans made.

Gary
120 taps in buckets and drop lines.
2.5X8 pan on concrete arch.
Access tough still carrying out of the woods in buckets.

adk1
02-13-2012, 07:31 PM
I am tapping in tomorrow. most of the larger producers are me with much more experience than I have tapped already.

UNDRBLLY
02-13-2012, 08:42 PM
I am going to start next week. I trust my instincts over the last 7 years, hopefully.

nymapleguy607
02-14-2012, 08:56 AM
I haven't tapped yet I was looking at sometime this week but the weather doesn't look to favorable for a sap run, but all my trees are on a northern slope. Yesterday hit 40 but it never got that warm in the woods.

SPILEDRIVER
02-14-2012, 02:03 PM
ive been tapped for 10 days,have gotten 3 decent runs and have added taps about everyday...added 25 sunday and 12 today...have @36 more to put in tommorrow to get me to 250,the max i want to do on my 2x5. next 4 days look like good runs coming up..............heres to hopeing you all drowned in sap!!!! ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

maple flats
02-14-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm tapped, but running onto the ground. Washing tanks tomorrow and then it's go time for #1 bush. Will wash tank at #2 tomorrow or Thurs then it's gravity there and the next day or Saturday I'll get vac and releaser going. Then I've got to run8-900' to road of 1" transfer line and #2 will be ready. 1'st boil might be as early as Thursday or as late as Sunday. Then it'll be go every day conditions are right.
Dave

wnybassman
02-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Half tapped. Got home from work and it was 38º and got the itch. Threw in 18 until the battery went dead. (it was nearly dead when I started) Most dripping. I'll do the other half tomorrow.

barkeatr
02-14-2012, 06:16 PM
i havent tapped yet. I dont have that many taps..maybe 200...so i can respond on short notice. I think it will be two weeks before i do and that is early for me. pretty wierd winter.

jimsudz
02-14-2012, 08:54 PM
I haven't tapped yet plan on starting tomorrow.

I haven't tapped yet,plan on starting tomorrow. Got the evaporator all set up after removing to pour concrete,new paint and some mods to aof. Set tank,washed a tank and set up the releaser tonight. I'll start with gravity and vac taps, and hang buckets this weekend. It's go time! Best of luck everybody!

danno
02-15-2012, 10:47 AM
Well, I was planning to start tapping yesterday afternoon, but ... Finished the new mainlines/lats yesterday morning, but had a leak in the water cooling tank for the vacuum, so worked on that and the sugarhouse yesterday afternoon instead. I really want to tap with the vacuum on and fix leaks as I go. Now work is in the way. Either way, I'll be tapped by this weekend unless the forecast takes a nose dive for next week.

Compared to most guys, I feel well behind. But truth be told, I've never tapped this early before. But hearing guys having 25% of their crop in is sure making me fret.

backyardsugarer
02-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Danno

Don't worry too much yet but I would get tapped soon. No snow pack means a big warm up is possible anytime. 15 day still looks good with ups and downs. Maybe u will be the one that makes out with fresh tap holes. Good luck

Rugburn
02-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Put a few buckets out this Monday, and no sap yet. My trees are somewhat shaded by some pine trees though. I'll continue to check daily and put the rest out when they start to flow. This is my first post, first season. I'm glad to have all this knowledge from Mapletrader to help guide me along. Thanks all!

Regards, Rugburn
Chenango County, NY

sapman
02-15-2012, 09:56 PM
Danno, we finished today. Took a week. Collected our first 1900 gallons today. I figure like you, nothing much after April 1, so might as well get it done asap. Wish I'd been in a week ago. Good luck!

sugar ED
02-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Ok, After all of these post and the weather report, I had to start tapping . Going to try to get the rest in tomorrow morning total 250, untill I get things up and running, than who knows (trying to get to the max my 2x6 and I can handle). Saps been running great all day on my hard maples and soft/silvers maples, some of the silver seem to be weak 1.5 (in the low/wet areas) .. but the sugars and norways seem to be sweet ! (after tapping 5 to 10 holes ,gots to wash hands or I'm stuck to the drill !)
Was told I should hold off 1 more week as I only have gravity lines and no vac... But my tanks / pans were just sitting there ! clean ,empty and ready to go . So good luck and happy sappin ,Ed

DanE.
02-16-2012, 12:12 PM
I tapped in almost 2 weeks ago, only 40-50 taps. picked up 50 gallons by the weekend. Picked up another 55 gallons last night. I work in Syracuse and many of the reds in the city have very large/swollen buds on them. I also noticed on the way on in the phoenix area that some of the road side red have much larger buds than I would expect at this time of the year. Dane

backyardsugarer
02-16-2012, 01:32 PM
600 gallons of sap yesturday made about 12 gallons of ultra light. Sap was running real hard at noon today. 25 last night and 40 out now. Headed to the woods in 30 min.
Chris