PDA

View Full Version : 3X5 syrup pan

pamaple
02-13-2012, 11:31 AM
I have a leader 3X5 syrup pan that I boiled dry last year and the bottom is all warped and burnt looking. Is it worth anything besides scrap metal? I bought a new one to replace it and don't know if I should keep it or scrap it. If it's worth something how much?

highway
02-13-2012, 02:01 PM
I would pound it out flat and use some sandpaper to clean the bottom as best you can and keep it as a spare. I have seen some preety hammered syrup pans that still made nice syrup.

Ed

Rossell's Sugar Camp
02-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Talk to henry. He could probably answer that. I dont know what to do there. Hopefully i never will.

pamaple
02-13-2012, 04:46 PM
yeah thats a good idea the next time I go up i will just throw it in the bed and see what he says. I am up there twice a month or so.

mark bolton
02-14-2012, 09:07 AM
A wire wheel on an angle grinder works well for removing burnt sugar from the pan.

buckeye gold
02-14-2012, 09:19 AM
If it is stainless steel, get some muriatic acid at the hardware store and wash it down with that. be really careful because the fumes will burn your airway if you get too many of them. It's best to have a respirator, but if you don't have one, set a fan on your working side to blow fumes away from you. You can scrub with a plastic brush and wear protective gloves or just let it set for a while. After your done rinse with a baking soda solution and then spray rinse well and you may be pleased with the results. I done one this way once and she shined like new. Your out nothing if your tossing it for scrap the way it is. As for the warps if they aren't too bad just run sap a little deeper and use a rubber mallet to flatten some. I'm no machinist but I've tried some things. If anyone knows for sure this is a bad idea, please say so. I won't be offended.