PDA

View Full Version : How much do I pay to use the neighbors vacuum?

jgavic
02-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Was wondering if anyone could help me with this...
We just started a new sugarbush that has about 380 taps, we should be done with it on Saturday. The neighbor just recently bought a 3HP Vacuum pump/Liquid Ring/30 CFM (supposedly good for 3000 taps). He only has about 550 taps on it. I just mentioned the idea to him yesterday that we would be interested in running ours on his vacuum and paying him for it. All I would need is about 800 ft of 1" line to run from his releaser to mine.
He mentioned that he should be able to get max vacuum on this system which would be about 28 in lbs. Both of our tubing systems our new this year. Also, we have the opportunity to put another 500 taps across the road from his house we are interested in tapping next year...I am guessing this vacuum could handle those also.
How much do I pay this guy? Like I said, I will only have 380 taps on top of his 550.
We were interested in getting the same vacuum system but I have a hard time putting another $4000 unit right next to his when I know his is capable of doing ours.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thad Blaisdell
02-13-2012, 08:53 AM
Give a percentage of the gain in syrup. With it you should make 190 gallons. without it half 95. Total extra profit is Just under $3000 bulk price. Go from there

jgavic
02-13-2012, 08:59 AM
I know he is interested in cash since he will be selling his sap and be receiving syrup. He has alot invested and would like to see some pay back.
Thanks for the ideas

Big John
02-13-2012, 07:18 PM
it sounds good, but if he gets a big leak in his woods and isn't on top of it,or just fixing all the leaks you both have, it will effect you both negative. I would offer him $500 for this year. But get my own for next year. 500 based on you should make around 190-210 in syrup. And 500 will about cover the electric for the season.

Starting Small
02-15-2012, 07:45 PM
I had no idea that there was that much differential in using vacuum and not. At what point (how many taps) do people make the jump to vacuum? Not that I know anything about your question but I always say "Blessed the child who has their own." Maybe this year rent it but I would definitely want my own in the future especially if it can almost pay for itself in one year.

wiam
02-15-2012, 08:56 PM
I am a firm believer in owning, not renting. $500 should get you an old dairy pump, then work up from there. I would also be concerned about the my leaks vs your leaks thing. I would be surprised to see 28" from a 3 hp liquid ring. Deadheaded mine will only do 26"

Maplewalnut
02-16-2012, 07:25 AM
This arrangement seems to have to many variables that could go wrong. I agree buy a milk pump and set it up yourself.

ennismaple
02-16-2012, 01:14 PM
I'd offer to pay his hydro bill to run the pump for the season - that way he gets to run his pump for nothing. Total power consumption during the season would be in the range of $100 to $150.

Russell Lampron
02-16-2012, 05:31 PM
I just mentioned the idea to him yesterday that we would be interested in running ours on his vacuum and paying him for it. All I would need is about 800 ft of 1" line to run from his releaser to mine.
He mentioned that he should be able to get max vacuum on this system which would be about 28 in lbs.

What size vacuum line is he running to his releaser? With 2 releasers on the same pump I would recommend going 1.5". 1" may not be big enough to recover fast after a dump.

Max vacuum depends on the elevation from sea level. 28hg can only be obtained at sea level. At higher elevations that number decreases. Leaks also have to be taken into account too. A few small ones can equal a big vacuum loss.

I'd offer to pay his hydro bill to run the pump for the season - that way he gets to run his pump for nothing. Total power consumption during the season would be in the range of $100 to $150.

This sounds like the most fair way to pay the guy for the use of his vacuum. At least it is a good starting point.

jgavic
02-17-2012, 08:06 AM
What size vacuum line is he running to his releaser? With 2 releasers on the same pump I would recommend going 1.5". 1" may not be big enough to recover fast after a dump.

Max vacuum depends on the elevation from sea level. 28hg can only be obtained at sea level. At higher elevations that number decreases. Leaks also have to be taken into account too. A few small ones can equal a big vacuum loss.

This sounds like the most fair way to pay the guy for the use of his vacuum. At least it is a good starting point.
He is running 800 ft of 1.5" line to his releaser and ours will be an additional 800 ft to our releaser but we were thinking of using 1"

wiam
02-17-2012, 07:16 PM
You should be fine with 1" I have 1100 taps on 1600' of 1.25"(buried) The vac at the releaser is the same as at the pump.