PDA

View Full Version : Safety-Sap can be VERY hot!!!

Richard Gress
02-13-2012, 08:19 AM
I'm generally not the Baney Fife of the workplace. However, everytime that i'm carrying a 5 gallon pail across the yard for finishing, I can't help but think about the time that I was carrying hot vat greese for disposal across an icy lot at McD'd and my feet went out from under me. Spent two weeks in the hospital and a month out of work with 2-3rd degree burns. I've been sugaring now for about 8 years and thank God for no accidents. I see many new guys breaking in to sugaring on this site and think it would be worthy input for any veterans who wish to share some tips or stories. As for me, I now transport my hot stuff in sealed buckets!

Maple Ridge
02-13-2012, 11:37 AM
It is a good point about safety when making syrup or any other hobby or business. I work at a paper mill and safety is taken seriously. I find myself being more aware of safety now at home.
Sugaring dose have its safety concerns to be aware of. From tapping to botteling. Yes you are right about how hot syrup is and how we should be carful with it, Steam off the evaporator or any pot or pans used for boiling is a safety issue, filling the fire box can be a safety issue. When we get too comfortable with our equipment, is when things can go wrong.
I think it would be a good idea for everyone from the seasoned pro's to the beginners to take the time to look around and take note of what could be a potential safety issue and address it. It only take a small amount of time to move, pickup, cover, or sanding icey areas etc. AS Richard mentioned in his artical, You can be out of commision for a while.

wcproctor
02-13-2012, 12:23 PM
remember the visitors (kids) coming to close to the HOT Evaperator!

DrTimPerkins
02-13-2012, 12:23 PM
I think it would be a good idea for everyone from the seasoned pro's to the beginners to take the time to look around and take note of what could be a potential safety issue and address it.

This is particularly the case if you invite visitors (and especially children) into your sugarhouse.

maple maniac65
02-14-2012, 05:58 AM
I had a sugarmaker that had been sugaring for 40 plus years open the steamaway door on the top hood and take a peak in. He was rubbing his forehead and saying that was dumb. Even the experienced when not used to new equipment do not always think ahead.

Richard Gress
02-27-2012, 07:22 PM
Crazy wind the past few days. A hefty chunk of a poplar tree broke off in the yard and smashed my goat fencing. A fair warning for me to skip collecting yesterday (and yet another project).

Burnt sap
03-06-2012, 08:40 AM
A few years ago we had a gentleman trip and fall into his evaporator which was about 30" off the floor 2nd and 3rd degree burns on about 60 precent of his body. Not a fan of the lower evaporators. Poor guy lived in the burn unit for 6 months.