PDA

View Full Version : Finishing

backyardsugarer
03-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Since we are not going to get a run for a while here in NY I want to finish everything that I have in the pans for maple weekend. What is the best way to do this mid-season?

I was thinking about getting the levels in the front and back low and closing off the syrup pan and shutting down. Then emptying the back pan and slowly adding that to the front while boiling water in the back. Then to the finisher when I get it close in the syrup pan. Is that the right way to do it mid-season?

Thanks

Chris

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Chris,

That is probably the best way and it will save eating all that propane with the price it is at. :?

TroutBrookSH
03-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Chris, I did that exact thing with my left over on Monday night.

Good luck with Maple Weekend. Looks like you'll have plenty of sap this year. I'll try to send folks visiting my place your way.

Greg

backyardsugarer
03-16-2006, 07:45 AM
Greg,

Thanks, I should have sap for Saturday, however Sunday will be tough if it stays cold Friday. I don't have a ton of syrup to sell at this point so I may send some people your way. Whats your address? I have to get over and see your operation one of these days.

Chris

mcsap
03-19-2006, 07:55 AM
I have a 5 section pan where I can't close off the sections, what is a good way for me to shut it down for the week, while still getting the most syrup from my sap? If I run it low and pour water in the back compartments, will that dilute the front too much? I was finally able to draw some syrup off the front on Friday and don't want to lose the batch I left in there to finish.

Thanks for any advice,

John

Russell Lampron
03-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Yes you can chase it through with water. All of the sugar will work it's way to the point farthest from where you add the water. Be carefull running it low though, you don't want to scorch your pan.

Russ

mcsap
03-19-2006, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the info. I've already scorched the pan once this year, so I've learned the lesson about running it too low; though I won't say it will never happen again.

Snowing and 20 degrees right now here at home in wMass. Haven't seen a drop of sap in a couple days. This week looks promising though.

John

saphead
03-19-2006, 05:06 PM
Remember, that up here in the hills,if you chase w/water with these night temps.,you had best put some heat under your flue pan.

sweetwoodmaple
03-19-2006, 09:33 PM
Had my 2 x 6 for three years and let the rear pan freeze many times. Granted, it was only 1" above the flues, not full.

Have others had trouble with damage to the flues after letting their pans freeze? I would think the flues would be flexible enough to allow for the expansion of the water.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Brian,

They were freezing with a lot of sugar in them and not freezing solid. Lot different than just water. :?

Parker
03-20-2006, 04:01 AM
I would be worried about letting it freeze too much (just had my pre heater blow apart from freezing),,,,have been running my Mr. Heater in the arch last 3 nights,,,better safe than very, very sorry, IMHO

sweetwoodmaple
03-20-2006, 06:56 AM
The sugar content wasn't that high (5%?), especially early in the season when you get that really cold stretch of days between runs. Yes, definately better safe than sorry.

I just think of the milk jugs in the freezer...they don't break if you leave enough room for the water to expand. Hence why your preheater would break because the expansion has no place to go and the copper is not flexible.

Wonder what the evap manufacturers recommend? I'm guessing they go the safe route too...

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-20-2006, 08:39 AM
If it is too cold, put a light bulb in the arch or just start a small fire with some papers and a few pieces of bark or small stuff every 2 or 3 days. :)