PDA

View Full Version : Arch Question

BHMC
02-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Is there any benfit between a Tin sided arch vs a all steel sided arch. I would like the pros and cons of each. I have seen a few of the steel sided advertised. Any info would be great.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-13-2012, 05:10 AM
are you talking plate steel?

BHMC
02-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Yes that is correct - Some of the arches I have seen are on Craigs NH and Vt. New with plate steel sided arches.

Flat Lander Sugaring
02-13-2012, 05:21 PM
I can see the front being plate steel not the sides no need for it as far as I'm concerned. I need to insulate it no matter what type you use,

vtwoody
02-13-2012, 08:39 PM
My 2x4 was re-built with plate steel after the tin wore out by the guy I bought it from...its REALLY heavy WITHOUT brick....having said that, I don't think I will have to worry about ever having to replace it. Other than structural integrity alleviating the need for having to replace the tin in the future, not much benefit as the tin (or plate) provides a foundation/structure to hold insulation and/or fire brick. May come down to what you have for resources available to you...I think the guy in NH (if we are thinking of the same guy) uses plate as he is a welder/fabricator and has the material and is used to building things that way-nothing wrong with it, per se.

my 2 cents (pre-tax)